Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

perm L5~nerve root damage

I have been diagnosed with perm nerve root damage, after 3 spine surgeries. My left thigh, hip, shin and foot have pain daily. My thigh is the worst. I had two doctors give the same opinion from two different states. My surgeon assured me that the last surgery had my nerves free and clear. But the pain has disabled me. I traveled all over the world working with spine surgeons in research and now I am lucky to drive a half hour before pain throbs in my thigh. The pain never goes away and the EMG showed the nerve root damage. I take neurontin and vicodin but my pain doctor is considering an oppit, they scare me. My leg is getting weaker and the doctor said I can only walk. I tried a DCS trial but because of another medical issue I have to have MRI's every year so I cannot have one placed in.
Any cheerful thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated.

• I can only commiserate. I have chronic damage at S1, and so my pain is in a little different area. It looks like you're doing whatever you can. Although your nerves may have been free and clear from your last surgery, if the nerves were already very damaged the results might not be optimal.

I look forward to the change in seasons, and like the cool air starting to come in at night - that's my cheery thought for today. Now it's time I went to bed.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • The cooler weather kills my back and leg. I do much better in the warmth but fall if upon us so I lay a lot with my pillows to try and ease the pain.
  • backbback Posts: 190
    edited 10/02/2012 - 10:02 AM
    What type of MRI do you have to have every year? If its head only, you can still get a Medtronic SCS. I just recently underwent a head MRI. You could also consider a pain pump when the oral meds stop working.

• I have to have breast MRI 's. I am considering changing to the opit meds but this worries me. However I cannot keep having my meds increased.