Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C1-C2 fusion repeat surgery?!?

I had a C1-C2 fusion done last Aug. and just got the results from my latest CT. Apparently the cadaver bone didn't fuse with my C2 and I am looking at a repeat surgery. Has anyone had any experience with this or know someone who has had two of these surgeries? Is the recovery comparable or slightly lessened on the second one?

• Sorry to hear that Mike. I'm pretty sure we corresponded last year because I had C1 C2 fused in October last yr. I just had my one year checkup and I'm doing well. If I was you, I would definitely use your own bone this time. I used mine from my hip and it was not bad at all like most ppl say. It was a little uncomfortable but nothing like how bad the neck is so who cares! Take the extra precaution. I would assume that recovery is going to be the same. PS: I didn't get a CT scan but they could tell that everything was where it was supposed to be and there were no signs of movement in the screw holes so that means it is fusing.
    2011 C1/C2 Fusion due to os odontoideum & fracture from motorcycle accident
    2014 L4/L5 Herniation
  • Hi all,

I had have a surgery for fusing C1-C2 with 2 titan screws. I'm 4 months after surgery and everything seems to be much better with every day/week/month that passed. It's the short version of my story. I had past the fear and concerning moments. They still don't passed entirely. Like all of you I had a lot of questions.
    The most urgent questions that I have are for that people like TeamAstro who are entirely recovered after the surgery. I would want to know how many movement especialy left-right you recovered (%). Also what are the steps you followed to gain that movement?
    The second question it's about the sports that can be done now (I was amateur XCO mountain-biker, I played tennis, ski).
    The third question is about noises that I had (I read that I'm not the only one) in my neck. Are they temporarily, are caused by ligaments/muscles/articulation injury/inflammation caused by surgery?
    My neurosurgeon is the best from my country but he doesn't talk too much with patients (he doesn't offer too much explanations). He told me that I can do everything that I did before, but I'm suspicious that he wants me not concerning. He told me don't think at all at that noises. Also he told me not concerning the swallowing difficulties that I had the first 2-3 months after surgery. And he was right in this case.
    I will promise to post all my entire experience in future maybe will be helpful :)