Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

iFuse

Anybody had the iFuse procedure done for their SI problems? I am scheduled in oct. I have tried everything else there is with no success. Just wanted to hear some first hand experiences if anyone has had the procedure.

Thank you.

jani
L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
advertisement

Comments

• I had a similar experience when all my back first started many years ago. My original diagnosis was SI inflammation by my GP. I started physio for that and the pain got worse. A few months later I finally had an MRI which showed DDD and disc bulge at L5/S1.
    stive
  • Jani
    Did u have the surgery? I had the surgery on 10-09-2012 and it would be great to compare recovery experiences! I am three weeks post op and was doing really great so thought I'd do a few leg exercises! That was a mistake! Irritated the si joint so has set me back a few days- hopefully I didn't do anything to jeopardize the procedure?
    Mango
  • advertisement
  • Hi Mango,

Have not had the surgery yet. I am the first to have it done at my local hospital, my surgeon did the training specifically for me (and I am sure later on others) but now the nurses need to be trained. And it is getting too close to my winter job (I work year round for this company but work 2 different departments and make most of my money in the winter) so I may have to postpone it til march. However our insurance is probably changing so may want to have it sooner. Unfortunately things don't always work out like they are supposed to.

I would be very interested to hear how you are doing. How long were you non weight bearing? And are you able to walk easily after the non weight bearing period? What kind of exercises did you try and do? What do you expect your initial recovery to be? Tell me everything!!!

Jani
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • It seems like no one answers your questions or PM's around here. I posted 3 comments the other day, you should read them and it you have any other questions just ask. Diane http://www.spine-health.com/forum/pain/sacroiliac-si-joint-problems/ifuse-surgery
    I had the SI-BONE ifuse implant procedure on August 6th 2012.
  • Diane,

Thank you so much for that link. It did help alot. I am scheduled for spring. It was supposed to be in early october but as a new procedure for my hospital there was so much red tape. I teach skiing in the winter (yes I can still manage to do that, it actually feels better to be on skis) so a december surgery wouldn't work. Now it is spring.

I am so anxious to get it done. I was encouraged by the short time non weight bearing. I am hoping for the same. I am a (former) competitive athlete and have very strong bones and I build bone really well (fused L1 to S1).

Any additional info that you feel might be helpful I would be appreciative of. What is your activity level now?

Thank you.

Jani
  • advertisement
  • Hey Jani,

I just had my 4 week post-op follow up on 11-7-2012 and all is going well. I have been creating a detail account of my procedure under the topic "iFuse Surgery - Synopsis". I would direct you to that thread for more information on my experiences. Phil aka Mangophil
    Mango
  • Dear Jana,

I was up and walking on my own that night. Full weight bearing just hours after the procedure. Mangophil -AKA Phil said he was full weight bearing like two weeks after the procedure. My activity level?? I'm almost 50. LOL I love playing in my garden which I have been doing since my 6 week post-op appointment when I was released from my doctors care. I own, am a teacher at a Day Care Center licensed for 42 children. I was off of work for almost 2 years and more less popping pain pills to sit around and do nothing so I'm personally having issues with my muscles. Something as simply as stopping by the Day Care Center on a Sunday for 20 minutes looking down and doing paper work has caused me a lot of pain. That was two months ago and my neck still hurts, really hurts from time to time. What form of SIJD do you have? Knowing that might help me help you between now and spring when you have the procedure. I'd prefer to talk throw email if that's okay with you and that goes for anyone else reading this. Thanks, Diane - lady.di@comcast.net
    I had the SI-BONE ifuse implant procedure on August 6th 2012.
  • Hello there Jani!

I am also a skier, (former) moguls and freestyle. I feel about the same way as you, it does not hurt to ski, however the lifts kill me (sitting). I made an appt to see if I need fixation or fusion for mid-April. As soon as I made the appt, I panicked and searched to find an athlete that has had this procedure done before. I want to know if I will be able to get back to the competitive level I so enjoy. I also downhill mtn bike, hike, golf and walk for exercise (used to I should say) and also would like to get back to those someday. I just don't know how fixation/fusion will affect movement.

I wish you the best of luck with your surgery. I'll keep an eye out to see how you have done.

Take Care,
    LTS
  • Thanks for the message. I hope to have the IFuse surgery the beginning of april. I should know the date next week.

I had a cortisone injection which was successful (I have not had much luck with them in the past). It allowed me to ski the bumps but not at the level I used to years ago. Probably my age has something to do with that too!!

My spine is fused L1 to S1. The surgery was successful in fixing the problems I was having (knocked unconscious by a snowboarder and it just totally ruined my spine). It took a lot of patience after the 3 surgeries to get back to being able to do things I did before. I have not been out on my mtn bike but until this past summer and the SI problems I could ride my road bike and I even made it back on my time trial bike (it was a long process!! I just did not want to bend that way).

I will let you know about my surgery. Since the cortisone was successful in the SI area I am hoping for good results from the surgery.

Keep me posted on what is happening with you.

jani
  • BAYSIDEBBAYSIDE Posts: 3
    edited 03/12/2013 - 8:46 AM
    Hi Folks,
    I had laminectomy and fusion of L2,3&4 nearly two years ago. Without a question the surgery helped, but the pain has remained constant. About 6 months ago the pain seemed to spread to my right hip, the front of the right leg, and at a focal point in my right buttock. The pain is in the same spot from which the surgeon took the bone graft. Pain clinics have not been able to help me and a recent MRI and CATSCAN showed nothing of an abnormal nature in the lower vertebrae of my back. I recently read of iFuse on this Spine-Health website. Now, after reading some on your testimonials, I will investigate this procedure. Have any of you had your sacroiliac fusion performed in California. I live on the central coast. I'll appreciate all comments. Thanks.
    Robert L. Hyde
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.