Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

7 month LBP w/ radiculopathy & tilted posture

Hello all!

I am a 30 year-old male and have been experiencing back pain since 14 Feb 2012 when something 'gave way' while squatting 60 kg (132 lbs) in the gym. I had had 2 weeks of warning signs which I did not take seriously.

Conservative treatment until end April when things suddenly got worse. I felt a pulling sensation when walking, as though my lower back muscles were tugging my vertebral column to the left. I now have a significant tilt to the left, away from the disc herniation.

MRI on May 17th:

Multilevel degenerative disc
disease is identified at L4/5 and L5/S1. At L4/5, there is a
right sided posterolateral disc protrusion compressing the
transiting right L5 nerve root on series 4 image 10. At
L5/S1 there is a further postero central and right sided
posterolateral disc protrusion compressing the transiting
right S1 nerve root. Small posterior annular tears are
identified at both levels. Elsewhere on the examination,
there is no further significant abnormality.

X-ray early September showed listhesis I think of L4/5 but the radiologist did not seem to think it was serious? I am know wondering if the original disc herniation was caused by one vertebra slipping over another who the result being the protruded disc?

Am currently in India availing of lumbar traction, acupressure, diathermy.. doing stretching exercises and walking on treadmill everyday. Tilt remains and my abdominal area appears slightly wasted and atophied. I have lost a few kgs over the past 6 months.

Tried all conservative treatment. Even taken Lyrica (pregabalin) and prednisolone, all the NSAIDs etc. Currently only taking NSAIDs as needed but at least one a day of diclofenac/naproxen/ibuprofen (2-4). Reduced paracetamol to max of 2 daily. Also applying gel to low back.

Been offered microdiscectomy with insertion of a stent? Also hoping to first get spinal nerve root blocks.

My worry is that if the herniation was caused by the slippage of the vertebrae, then is a microdiscectomy going to solve things? Would a brace help?

Advice appreciated!

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Wow..sounds like a lot going on with your situation.
    I was wondering if you are traveling and in India, which I would imagine be even more stressful ...being away from the familiar and your friends, family, support system.

My experience has been that there is a lot of trial and try again with treatments for the pain and whatever is causing it. I think many of us have more than just one issue and it's not easy to navigate through all the information. I've had a friend go with me to my doctor visits sometimes as another set of ears to help me better understand whatever doc is trying to diagnose or reason for change of meds, or what treatment might help... It's not easy to always know what to do esp while in pain.

You've asked about what might help you and I really wouldn't know what to say...except that for me.. I try whatever doc recommends and hope for the best. For ex: I've had several epidurals and most made my pain worse but once it did relieve the leg and foot pain I was having. If I hear of something... for example, of a treatment I read about here on this site..I talk to doctor to see if it may be useful to my situation.

It's good you're here on this site for great info about the spine and encouragement from people who know your pain. You wrote about some of the treatments you've had or are considering and that's been my journey. ..to try anything and everything for relief.

Regarding whether a brace would help, I would ask doctor and if doc says it wouldn't hurt to try... I would try it.
    Keep in touch with how you are doing!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History