Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain in legs and top of knees neuro? I've had enough

I work in a nursery, I walked 20 ft to turn the water on.

All of a sudden my legs and arms felt like I was running while standing still, my bp was 180/100, go to ER, follow up with Dr.

Legs and top of knees severe pain, I really can't walk, take baby steps

Been to ER 6 times, seems all they do is let you lay there till your BP goes down or they give you percoset, one time got a pain in IV, again let me lay there for 4 hrs or so till pain passed. rx for vicodin 5/500

seen neuroglist, had bone scan, all ok there, no need to go to Neurology anymore.

Had MRI of lower back, CT scan of abdomen, CT scan of head, legs xray, Utlrasound of legs.

The ultrasound of legs showed small blockage, the vascular surgeon didn't think this could cause something happening in both legs, he could not figure why both legs affected.

Had the nerve conduction test (the pins inserted into back for reflexs and small shocks to reflexs, nothing unusual there

Then a more detailed ultrasound where they put all those BP cuffs on your legs & arms.

Today I go back to the vascular surgeon to see the results of that

Med's Gabapentin 300mg 3x day
Vicodin (I try not take this, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 tablet at times, especially if I need to walk more)

My regular MD acted like it was some kind of sin to ask for vicodin and was suggesting Ultram, I took that years ago for sleep, finally she gave me 10 tablets.

I now need to use the motorized wheelchair when I go into a store and use a cane

I don't know what I am going to do if this vascular surgeon does not find anything.

The Gabepenin isn't cutting it anymore, my regular MD says if nothing is found I'll need to go to pain management for pain and med's, I say if you can't find where the pain is coming from how is pain mgmt going to help, are they going to give me something for pain.

I'm worried about the Gabapentin and the dose, I can't stand the pain anymore, the whole summer wasted, no plant sales cause I can't walk and do my thing.

I know people have it a lot worse, this has ruined my life, I just can't go on like this, I'm worried I'm going to lose my legs.

• Sorry you are having hard times, I think many of us can relate. My legs and arms are both very weak. Have you had the full spine MRI done? Most drs don't want to look above the lumbar area for leg problems but it might be something you can bring up. Also did they do the flexion and extension X-ray on your low back? Very important one to check for me before my lumbar diagnosis and ultimate surgery. .

After having both lumbar and cervical fusions I was lucky enough to find my self T boned in a MVA and suffering from multiple thoracic spine issues. The last 3 years have been a living hell that has been getting progressively worse.

Pain management has been a godsent for me. I have a special relationship with my pm doctor & clinic. I do feel like a loser every time I have to go to another doctor and they find out I'm a pain patient and take what I take, but I can't imagine where I would be with out them now. They allow me to pretend for a few hours every day that I am normal while taking the medications that hide my pain away from people that I have to work with. Also he does my epidural steroid injections, did my spinal cord stimulator trial, and will help my neurosurgeon install my permanent stimulator.

I understand not all pm clinics are the same, but I like the place I go to.

Good luck & feel better,

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Sorry for your pain and frustration. It's good you are on this site.as you have found people here who can relate to all you are experiencing... the trying to get a diagnosis to trying to get pain relief to trying to figure out if and what you need to change in your life style to treat and prevent the painful situations.

I strongly agree with JulieA response to you above. Going to pain management doctor was the best thing for me! My pain doc helps me to understand what may be going on with my spine/body and medicate me for pain relief. He believes my pain and even if he can't "see" the cause.. he treats the symptoms and the goal is for relief of pain.

If eventually doc discovers cause, all the better... but even the unseen is real pain. When you mention that others have worse situations of pain and or condition... pain is pain and suffering is suffering. It can become a lonesome place when you feel so out of control as your body or pain start dictating your lifestyle.

But you're not alone! :) You found a site with many supportive and encourageing people.Keep in touch with how you are doing and I hope you're pain is managed soon.

Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• The vascular surgeon did not find nothing, I started crying telling him my BP cannot keep going this high, it was agony walking down the hall to his office.
    He suggests a biopsy of my leg muscles, I guess my GP is finding that out, of course I'll need to drive 50 miles or more to one.

I take lisinopril for bp 2.5 mg, I used to take 1/2 of this tablet 2x a day before this happened, then with this pain it was 2.5 mg 2xday by I got so tired my bp was 118/60, I start taking 2.5 am and 1/2 tab at night. Then bp is high 150/90, so I go back to 2.5 mg 2x again, I go so tired and weak yesterday like I was very ill, bp 115/46. Dammit, I didn' take the whole tablet till 6:00 pm, I'm not even taking the 1/2 tablet later, This is all too much anymore these bp issues started with the pain.

What I find odd is the gabapentin does not take arthritus pain away.

When the gabapentin takes the pain away, it feels like things are crawling around inside my legs, its not restless legs because I don't feel like i need to keep moving them, I know what restless legs are, I had it a few times from different med's years ago.
    When this happens I take 1/2 tab of the vicodin which takes that feeling away.

and on to other things, I have ADHD and the gabapentin overshadows this, so what's the sense in taking my ADHD med's, I take the med's for that with hardly any result, now I can't think straight or concentrate, a bumbling idiot now. My house is now a catasrophe, my nursery has been let go so much because of this not to mention my yard and shrubs and flowers.

Pain of unknown reason...there has to be a reason, I'll ask the doc this week about a full spine xray as mentioned, no doubt I'll have to go to pain mgmt now. Now what do I do there? When I get there I'll be on the Gabapentin and that won't wear off for about 4 hrs, that drug will need to wear off and then I need to walk on a treadmill there with them monitoring my heartrate so they can damn well see something is wrong.

Thank you all for listening to my vent.
  • ladyinpainlladyinpain Posts: 17
    edited 09/16/2012 - 11:17 PM
    Another thing I did, outside of one of the stores I seen a man with his own scooter and asked him how much they cost, he said medicare would pay for it, if it comes to that, I asked if it came apart but he said It does but I would not be able to lift it up, now what, I don't have the funds to buy a ramp I just drive a small suv.
This discussion has been closed.