Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just hit the 4 week mark after my L5-S1 Microdiscectomy

Hi everyone! I just wanted to share an update, since this community was so helpful to me before and after surgery. Yesterday was the four week mark since my L5-S1 Microdiscectomy. Also, my dad had his anterior L4-L5 Fusion. I told him we should have gotten a group rate lol. It was great that I was able to share tips with him before his surgery of helpful things I saw on here and things I found out firsthand. I saw my surgeon last week and he said I'm doing fantastic! I know I'm not back to 100%, but overall I am beginning to feel better than I have since I originally herniated the disc in 2009. I'm so excited, because I feel like I've been given the chance to pick up where I left off without constant NSAIDs or Muscle Relaxers. I am walking often now. I take between 4-7 walks a day in my neighborhood. I'm averaging 6,000 - 8,000 steps a day, but my best day was 10,000 (thanks for the tip about getting a pedometer, it is amazing to be able to track my progress). I am still quite limited in how much I can sit, but that is slowly getting better. I'm able to sit for about 15-20 minutes, then it's like a timer goes off in my body like "you are out of sitting time, you really need to get up now." If I try to push my luck, in a few more minutes it's like "Get Up Now!" Other than sitting though, I am able to be up and around the house pretty often. I've been able to ride around for some errands on my good days. I don't feel comfortable driving yet, I have to recline quite a bit to be comfortable in a car seat. I'm completely off of the tramadol, and I'm only having to use the hydrocodone sparingly (I've only used it once this week). Sleeping still kind of sucks, but I'm getting there. I still have to be careful when I'm positioning myself in bed, and I get up probably 3 times a night. I'm kind of glad I'm getting up on my own at night, because I was having to set an alarm halfway through the night to get up, simply so I wouldn't be so stiff in the morning. I'm starting to get some of the natural movement back in my hips, so I feel relatively normal and fine when I'm walking now. I told my surgeon the first two weeks were rough, but he told me not to worry about that. He said a lot of times, the people who make really quick recoveries, were the patients with a ruptured disc who have to get it fixed quickly. Once those fragments are out, they start feeling better. He said it can be different and slower in someone who has been managing a herniation chronically for two years. He was incredibly pleased with my progress though - all of my walking and the fact that I'm pracitically off of the pain meds. He said my motivation is my biggest factor now, and I told him I'm determined to rehab this as aggressively as possible and get back to normal life. He said he is confident I am going to make a full recovery. So there we have it. I know I'm not 100% yet, but I know I'm making steady progress and I am so happy and encouraged by that :)

• So wonderful to hear a success story! Encouraging for the rest of us! I'm 5 days out from my second surgery on L5-S1 (fusion this time) and I feel so much better this time! Maybe I can be one of these success stories, too!

So happy for you, Soapfan!
    Mother, wife, Southern farm keeper, chicken lady, beekeeper, anesthesia provider. L5-S1 PLIF 9/2013. Visit PLIF blog at http://www.lumbarfusionfusion.blogspot.com