Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SCS Problems

I have chronic neck pain due to nonsurgical bulging discs - C6 & C7. I'm on my second SCS in 3 years. My developed a cyst on my incision that had to be removed. Once they removed it the skin was so thin, they wires kept popping out. So after trying to reinsert them under the skin -twice, they removed wires completely. After 3 months, they replaced them, but due to scar tissue where my real pain is- they went around the outsides of my neck. Now the sides of my head buzz just above my ears and drives me crazy! I've done the reprogramming, but they can't seem to stop the buzzing. I have a connector in my mid back, because they thought the constant pulling may have been what caused my cyst in the first place. Immediately after the replacement, my leads slipped so I wasn't getting any coverage and they had to go back in. So long story, still long, I had 5 surgeries in 4 months last fall. The pain coverage is about 60% as good as it was originally. Don't get me wrong, being off hydromorphine & oxycontin is fantastic! But I know it can be better. Second issue, since January, I have lost 38 pounds, which is awesome, but now everything protrudes out of my body. Especially my connector, which is next to my spine in the middle of my back, so when I sit in a chair, it rocks to one side or the other. (annoying). I'm wondering if I go back to my pain dr. and request that he remove the scar tissue, so that my leads can go back to their orginal location, and bury everything deeper. Is that an unreasonable request? Also, a lot of my pain radiates into my shoulder muscles. Anyone heard of adding leads to cover muscular pain? Can I have both? Sorry if this post seems disjointed. It is my first ever! Thanks to all who respond.
Tara Ingersoll

• alexhurtingaalexhurting Posts: 1,991
    edited 09/13/2012 - 12:25 PM
    I would think the scar tissue would return posibly more then what you have now, If you already had problems multiple times it might not be a good idea to mess with it too much in my opinion, But ask your dr to be sure,

I have the scs for lower back and leg nerve pain but i am not very impressed with it, Scs is not a perfect fix for everyone i guess and sometimes geting a persons hope up can be a let down for some of us, It seems to be very hard to get a direct hit of stimulation where its needed for pain,

Good luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 09/14/2012 - 7:00 PM
    I would give it a break for awhile and let everything heal. You went through alot in a short time.
    I am trying to get another test to add a perk lead to my lumbar unit that is set up with a paddle with 16 electrodes.
    If the test works out they will add another lead to my unit. Are you on a muscle relaxer?
    You don't want to add anymore scar tissue to the neck if you can avoid it. I need a cervical unit but they have to wait because of scar tissue and cord damage.

When you go in for another reprograming ask the rep to turn off one lead and see if it changes the buzz. Just a idea to try. Do you know what level your leads are at and what level they entered the canal?

Good luck