Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to forum... multiple issues... need advice re: surgeons!

GoldiloxGGoldilox Posts: 6
edited 09/14/2012 - 9:05 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello all. I am desperately looking for some feedback. I have been suffering with lower back issues for approx 16 years. I am 39yo and back in 1996 I started having tightness in my right thigh. When it did not resolve, I was given an MRI, showing severe spinal stenosis, grade I spondylolisthesis, spondylolysis, scoliosis, a bulging disc at L4-L5 and a totally degenerated disc at L5-S1. What a treat to discover this at 23 years of age!!! I can honestly say I have had sciatica and back pain every day since that diagnosis. I tried multiple rounds of conservative treatment (PT, meds, acupuncture, chiropracty, etc). Nothing has resolved this pain. I tried epidural injections which had no effect, either. And, several consultations with surgeons all along the way. No one ever said that they were certain surgery would help me. So, I did not pursue it.

This has caused such physical and mental pain for me. I begin to tear up every time I start to explain my situation, and I have been depressed several times as a result of my condition. I am now at a point in my life where I must do something about this. I'm pushing 40 in a few mos, and I do not want to spend the next 40 years in pain. I have two young children and I want to be the best mom I can be. It's not fair to me or my family, and so for the first time, I am seriously pursuing surgery. I know I will be having spinal fusion at L5-S1. But, everyone's technique is different.

I saw Dr.EDITED at NYU Hosp for Joint Diseases, who was very confident he can help me with an anterior/posterior approach fusion. I then saw Dr. EDITED at Columbia Presbyterian who said he would do the surgery (posterior only), but was doubtful it would help me. I do not want to go crazy with consultations, but I do feel like I need to see 1 or 2 more people before I make this very important decision. It's by far the most important decision in my life, and I want to have this done ONCE if possible!

I would love some feedback re: surgeons in the NYC/ Westchester County area. Thank you for reading my story and I look forward to hearing from anybody who can help!

Post edited to remove name of medical professional. by The Spine-Health Moderator Team