Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

finding a surgeon???

Hello again, everyone. I am brand new to this forum and I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to put MD names in my posts! Ooops! I posted my story yesterday (see below) and I'm just trying to get advice about surgeons in my area. I've seen a few, all with various techniques. One is confident he can help, one is not, etc. A couple of people sent me PM's but I did not receive in my email? Anyway, I'm just looking for help, as fusion terrifies me and this is a huge decision. I'd much rather hear from an actual person with similar back issues who used a particular surgeon they liked. Please, if anyone can help me, I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thank you!!!

• This is a question, I don't understand why it's so dang secretive. You can't put doctors names in the forum. You search the internet and it's almost impossible to pull up anything substantial on doctors reviews. I mean I can pull up cookware, housewares, a tractor, a car, a boat, a wallet, I could on and on but trying to find real reviews on doctors is like tabooo or something.

I have angie's list and I got it for this purpose, I pulled up doctors in my area, and the neurosurgeon I've been to didn't even come up. There is another one out of state I want to see but you have to pay for multiple states to search on Angies list so I'm not even gonna bother. One of the surgeons I'm interested in seeing shows up on Spine Health but, that doesn't mean anything it's just his contact info. I was hoping he might have reviews from Spine Health members that I could read.

Lets face it, the age of the internet is not new and there is a wealth of knowledge, it makes me inferiorated to put very nicely as to why I can't find the meat and potatoes on a surgeon that is gonna help or screw me for the rest of my life. Good luck with any feedback you might get, maybe p.m. from members if you tell them the area you are in?
  • [quote=GoldiloxA couple of people sent me PM's but I did not receive in my email?
    Thank you!!!

check your inbox on this site, not your regular email. the new system doesn't send notifications that you have email on here.
    Microdisectomy / hemi-laminectomy 6/2010 and revision 10/2010
    Cervical fusion C4-5 and C5-6 9/2011
    Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 6/2012
  • AS to why Spine-health doesn't allow surgeons or doctors for that matter's names to be used has a lot to do with the legal ramifications that goes along with it. Say you and I both go to the same doctor have the same procedure done. The only difference is I do great and you don't post-op. Your left in pain the rest of your life, and I am back at work and think life is great. So naturally I would write, the best possible things I could about the surgeon, you on the other hand might write, a much different review. The question is how accurate could either one of our opinions be? They are just that opinions not based on any success rates or failure rates with any data. The way people go about living their lives is most only say something when something goes wrong, and never when it goes perfect. Sure there are a few here and there whom would, but for the most part, it doesn't work. Look at how it work with members reporting their surgeries, you see far more that are negative than positive. But I can tell you as a long time member of these forums, there are tons of success out there. Members just get busy with everyday life, if they are better by surgery and forget about posting to those, still here or to new members coming behind them. I can also tell you I have seen many a member register here to slam a surgeon and really have no input, on the forums. Problem is we have no way of answering as to what happened. Did the person follow all the surgeons rules, what was the expectations of surgery to begin with. So for those reasons we don't allow it good or bad.

If you would like to research a surgeon, there are many ways to do it for free. First off there are some articles on the site, which will explain some of those avenues you can use. But you can go or call your local hospital and ask for the ortho floor, ask the nurses about your surgeon. Ask them if they were going to surgery whom in the hospital would they let operate on them? Trust me the nurses have the insight. Also your state has a reporting sight and you can see with their medical license, what if any actions have been taken against them. Ask your primary care doctor whom would, he or she let operate on them. Check your hospital to see if they have a chronic pain support meeting, if so go to it and see if anyone has some insight. I get it is not the easiest thing to do, but then again, your playing with the structure of your spine.

Some other things you can do is look in the FAQ section and read the links on preparing to meet with a surgeon and also 38 questions to ask about surgery. You want to find out what type of follow-up care will the surgeon give post surgery? The expectations of surgery and do you fully understand the procedure they are proposing? Ask the surgeons themselves if they had to have the same operation whom would they let operate on them and at what hospital? But also don't forget to get multiple opinions. Just because you get a opinion doesn't mean you have to let them operate on you. When your getting the multiple opinions be sure they are completely independent. Which means the surgeon have not worked together and are not working together now. But that is the best advice I have.