Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi Everyone:

I had surgeries (3) back in 2010 to repair the L5/S1. Starting in October of 2009, I have been on Percocet and Vicodin or their generics. Last Monday, I decided to go off the stuff because I felt that I could live with the little pain that I now have. I mentioned to my doctor that I wanted to try to wean myself off of the drugs, but he made me go cold turkey. I have no idea why, but this scared the hell out of me because of all of the horror stories that I had heard of people going off this way. I surprised myself and had only one bad day, which was the first day. Since Tuesday, I have had no pills and no withdrawal symptoms.

I am beginning to feel better or at least different since being off the junk. My bowels are returnning to normal and I feel more energetic. I am not against pills. On several occasions, they made living comfortable and for those that need them, I can appreciate their using them. We do what we have to in order to feel decent and enjoy life with our familiy, even under the influence of a narcotic. Many times, I thanked the Lord for having my meds.

Today, I only take Advil, but it is mostly ineffective. I have also tried Alieve, Aspirin and Celebrex. Nothing works as good as the narcotics. I was getting about 6 hours of releif when I was taking the pills. My pain is livable and I do not have it for long when I do get it. Maybe from 5-15 minutes about 3-4 times a day. I am OK with this. By the way, I was abusing the pills and that was my main reason for wanting off. I was taking about 100 pills of Hydrocodone (Vicodin) 7.5/500 in about 12 days.

Best of luck to all of you.

• DaysleeperDDaysleeper Posts: 19
    edited 09/15/2012 - 2:08 AM
    Congratulations on getting off the narcotics! I am so glad you didn't have any major withdrawal symptoms from them. I've run out of Percocet in the past because of the slow workings of Dr's offices, and have been made miserable by withdrawal after going without for as little as 6 hours to as long as two days, so good for you! My main symptoms were GI. Horrible stomach cramps.
    I've just had another back surgery, and hopefully this one will allow me to taper off the narcs and be free as well. Nothing is as wonderful as being pain-free. But when we're hurting, I thank the Lord for the fact that relief is available! :)
    Best to you!
    Mother, wife, Southern farm keeper, chicken lady, beekeeper, anesthesia provider. L5-S1 PLIF 9/2013. Visit PLIF blog at http://www.lumbarfusionfusion.blogspot.com
  • Good for you! I am impressed. I was talking hydrocodone for awhile and I am so glad I stopped it. My head became much clearer. The fog was lifted. My energy increased. I do not want to take it anymore. I do use Valium prn at bedtime but I want to stop that too. I am not pain free and what I have left is the tingling nerve pain. On Neurotin and I wish I wasn't so I don't have all this quite firgured out yet but no more hydrocodone. I hope you can continue to do so fine.
  • oberlin_patientooberlin_patient Posts: 58
    edited 09/17/2012 - 10:49 PM
    When I went off the narcotics my surgeon offered me Tramadol as a pain reliever and also a go between for Vicodin/Percocet until I was detoxed. I am not sure what Tramadol is, but I opted to just go cold turkey. Glad I did. I am now on day 8 and really had very little issues with getting off, but I agree with Daysleeper that when I was on the junk, I also ran out of pills and although I wasn't really feeling bad, I just didn't want to be without my meds. I would call the doc's office and order refills or if he wasn't available, I'd go to a walk in clinic and they'd give me a couple of injections of delauded and then a script for 12-15 pills to tide me over until I saw my doctor. I am sooo glad those days are over.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    it was a good thing to wean off of them.
    It is very strange that a doctor would tell someone to go cold turkey. Any medical journal / article / professional would also do that in a structured method.

Well, for you, its good that you are feeling the way you do and off the narcotics
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com