Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain pump & abdominal hernia - problem?

Hi, I had an accident ten years ago, to cut a long story a bit shorter I ruptured two thoracic discs which caused spinal cord compression, I had emergency surgery, then a thoracic fusion with titanium rods screws & plates the following year. I've also got DDD & several bulging discs at all levels of the spine. I've been left with a high level of pain & can only walk short distances with the aid of crutches. I've been using Fentanyl patches for several years 175mcg every 72 hours. Because of nerve damage at the time of the accident & long term use of Fentanyl I had a colectomy (large bowel removed) six years ago.
After a long wait the pain clinic have now secured the funding for a pain pump (I'm in the UK) however there's now a hold up, as I have a large abdominal incisional hernia, the pain clinic think it might be dangerous to put the pump in when a hernia is present, but the colorectal surgeon didn't know anything about pumps and thought it would be fine to leave the hernia until after the pump's been fitted. I'm due to see the pain consultant next week, does anyone know anything about this situation, I would be very grateful for your thoughts/opinions please, many thanks in advance.

• Hello and welcome to Spine Health.I really can't advise you on what to do but as you know the pump will be placed in your side between your hip bone and your ribs. Here in the US Doctors make you wear a tight binder while the pump is scaring in. That keeps it from moving around. But still I think I would like to wait until the hernia is closed up and healed first. That is just my own personal thoughts.
    Best of luck.
    Patsy W
  • charryccharry Posts: 5,657
    edited 09/15/2012 - 11:15 AM
    I would get the Surgeon to do the hernia repair especially if you're having pain at that area and most Surgeons will do the surgery when you are symptomatic.

I don't see why this would affect your getting a pain pump either as the placement isn't in the abdomen. I think it may be an issue wearing a tight binder though as you're not supposed to wear a tight binder with a hernia. I hope you would be able to get the pain pump. All the best. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks to Pat & Charry for the replies, I just wish the Doctors would make up their minds & get on with things! It's great to have found this forum, thanks for the support.