Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi folks,
I've had lumbar decompression surgery twice (feb2011 & sept2011). The first gave total relief, but then sciatica recurred. The second relieved some specific neural tension symptoms, but leg pain on standing & walking continued. I seem to have a full set of lumbar spinal problems, including DDD, stenosis, scoliosis and a listhesis which has yet to cause problems. The last enhanced MRI showed bilateral nerve root entrapment at L5/S1.
Last week I had a posterolateral fusion with instrumentation at this level, and at the moment seems to have completely relieved the sciatica symptoms when walking, which was my main objective. Sadly, the wound is infected, so I'm in and out of hospital being swabbed and dressed and have a boatload of flucloxicillin to add to the fentanyl patch (12mcg) and gabapentin (300x3x3), plus tramadol as needed.
Assuming the op is a success and the resultant back pain, particularly harvesting the bone graft, continues to recede, I will have to start withdrawing from all the painkillers. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has done this. I don't feel addicted, indeed I don't feel any effects from the drugs beyond pain relief, but I've not been in this position before so wouldn't know what to expect.

• hi and welcome to the forum!! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.. do not worry about withdrawing from your pain medications. your doctor should take you down in slow steps to get you off your meds and there is really nothing to worry about.. this process lets your body adjust to being without the medications in slow increments.. you may not have even been on medications long enough to have developed a tolerance.. be sure and speak to your doctor about your concerns.. please have a look around and make yourself at home. good luck with your recovery!! be sure and follow the doctor's orders!! Jenny