Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

no where left to turn

I have never done a forum so correct me if I'm wrong but the people on this site seem at little bit more knowledgeable than all the others I was diagnosed with ddd a few years back and recently threw the new nureo surgeon I have started seeing been diagnosed with sciatica I'm only 18 and have played sports ie. Football my whole life I brought our team to state 3 times but recently I can say different my life has been consumed with pain and suffering I don't sleep anymore I can hardly even stand up I can't bend over to pick things up I feel like a 80 year old in a 18 year olds body I'm six foot six 200 pounds which from what the doctor has told me might be attributing to some of my problems within the last few weeks the sciatica pain has gotten much worse shoooting or radiating down my right leg with numbness in my buttock the doctor prescribed me oxycodone and somas but I personally don't to much enjoy these I'm left with no choice though because I'm in so much pain I was just wondering if anyone on this site had any suggestions for me thanks I just really want my life back

• Man, I am really sorry for your pain, but you will find that most of us here have also experienced some real serious pain due to disc issues. Here is some advice that you may do whatever with it; Make sure that you have a really good doctor, surgeon or neurologist with a very good reputation. Put your trust in him/her. Follow everything that he/she asks of you. Don't be afraid to tell him/her exactly how you are feeling and ask questions, especially about treatments. Maybe he/she can give you an epidural to help with the pain issues and also some better meds that may decrease inflammation. If you see that you are not making any progress, don't be afraid to get a second opinion. You're just at the starting poing of getting to your source of the pain, so patience will be a virtue until the doctor has a better idea of exactly what is happenning with you. I am sure that others here will also have some advice, so I will wish you the best with getting your issues resolved. We all want our lives back, so we can never give up the fight and keep on putting our trust with our surgeon.
  • Hi there,
    Sorry to hear about your pain. Unfortunately pain doesn't discriminate on age. But you are so young so I know how frustrating it must be. First, please focus on helping reduce your pain. I know you are very proud of your achievements in Football and you should be but keep in mind that with back pain, you may need to cut back on some of your activities.

I recommend this b/c when I was about 19, an orthopedic spine doctor told me the same thing. I realized I was quite active (didn't think so at the time but looking back, I was a fitness fanatic). You should then ask about (1) MRI to get a baseline of what is going on. They may not do that b/c at such a young age, you'll want to avoid surgery b/c that will likely cause more problems than it will solve so they try to work on all other conservative treatments. Then ask about (2) Physical Therapy. I know that sounds silly for someone who is knowledgeable about exercise but PT will focus specifically on your core muscle strength and help make you aware of silly things that you would never think involve bending, twisting, lifting. IF possible ask about a (3) physiatrist instead of PT. A physiatrist is a muscular/skeletal doctor. They typically work in conjunction with an orthopedic spine dr or neurosurgeon, PT, chiropractors, etc. to help you reduce your pain and work on relative balance/strength in your body. (4) ask your doctor how he would recommend dropping a few pounds. I think everyone does it their own way but it's particularly tough when you have to cut back exercising. There are many fitness apps out there for the mobile to enter your profile, you desired weight loss (like 1-2lbs/week) and the exercise...it will help you track calories, etc.

And, stay positive...you have youth on your side so you are stronger than some of us folks that are a little older.
    Medication like you are taking is a pain medication but I agree that there may be better medication to reduce inflammation which may benefit you more. There are prescription NSAIDs (anti-inflammatories) that might make more sense that just killing the pain. I found that pain killers or even OTC Pain medication like tylenol aren't fixing the issue whereas NSAID (like motrin/advil) can reduce inflammation which can reduce pain on the sciatic nerve.

Good luck and stick around...
  • I appreciate both of your posts it helps knowing other people are going thru the same thing as me since I posted this I have been to the neroulgist he said surgical intervention is very possible but not this early maybe soon he prescribed me a medicine called amitriptaline which I take daily to calm my nerves and flexiril 3 times a day so it has helped but I'm still stuck in the house and have a very poor quality of life but thanks for your inquiries
  • I wish you all possible success in recovering.

Reading this website will show you that recovery is often about learning, taking control, listening to advice and coming to your own decision based on knowledge. I know that want a quick answer and a quick fix. We all do. I wish it was like that. Sometimes it is. But often it is not. I was shocked that my doctor said I would have to have a week off work. That was 8 months ago. I haven't been back since. And I never will.

There are really great sources of knowledge available. Books from your local library, online (hard copy & electronic), this web site and other websites, all are great sources of info.

This forum can listen and offer advice, from a patients perspective and go through the recovery process with you, if you want.

Regarding books, I recently got 3 in a few minutes online - one written by a Dr and was quite open in explaining that the patient needs to become very knowledgable to effectively collaborate with their Drs and physios etc - diagnosing and treatment is a complex process and is improved when the patient interacts knowledgeably during the short Dr consultations.

I know reading and learning is not the easiest thing to do when one is in pain... But it may shorten the time you are in pain and reduce the risk of long term pain.

Let us know how you go....
  • Hey man. I hear ya. Im 25 and have been a star athlete my entire life. Have had back pain since i was 21. Tired of slaving for greedy old men i decided to start boxing and MMA training to get myself into a different career. 6 months in and im a monster ready to move to the amateur leagues. Just as im about to start ju-jitsu, i all of a sudden cant walk. I got out of bed and hit the floor. 3 months later im diagnosed with DDD, pars defect and spondylyosis. My back was broken for more than 2 years before any severe symptoms became a noticeable problem. Had my L5-S1 fused. 2 months later i rip a hole in my dermal (THe sack in your spine that holds your spinal fluid) and almost died. Its been almost 10 months since ive last worked or trained. My life has gone to shambles. I know exactly how you feel. It is very hard to come to terms with our new disabilities. Lucky for me i found a girl to stick by my side as long as i treat her good. As for pain, do whatever it is that makes you comfortable. Find a good pain management team that treats you good and doesnt exclude you from certain treatments just because of your age. Mentally, do whatever it is that makes you the happiest without further stress or injury. As for getting your old life back, i cant really give you advice as mine has come to a complete hault since my temporary leg paralysis. Look into cortizone shots, back braces and supports. Always exhaust all options before opting for surgery. But if all else fails and you end up with pars defect like me, a spinal fusion may be your best bet. But do your research, find good doctors and surgans, and weigh the pros and cons of anything you do. Best of luck to ya kiddo.
    Much love from jersey.