Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

So I had my fusion L5 S1 three months ago now and I'm having real problems with pain in my legs and lower back and can't bend very much or lift anything or stand or sit for more than 5 mins at a time because of it....started physiotherapy week before last and am starting hydrotherapy in the next couple weeks.....my question is how many sessions over what period of time am I likely to need/have and has this treatment helped anyone having the same problems as me?

• Hydrotherapy was really good for me after surgery. It was gentle (and should be) and the exercises work so well in water because it helps to support your body. The course I started with was 6-8 weekly sessions of only 20 minutes each. You may think this isn't very long but when it was time to get out of the water, my whole body felt like it was weighted down with bricks!

The therapists should assess your progress as you go along. You'll let them know the following week if any particular exercise caused you problems or more pain after doing them the week before. Similarly, they will want to know if any exercise eased your pain a little too. Then, when the course finishes, they can then decide if you need more sessions or if you need physio etc.

If you are in the UK and having the sessions through the NHS, I believe there is a finite number of sessions you'll be allocated. If you are going privately, then of course you can have as many as you wish.

The other people attending had similar reasons for being there and it was really nice to meet up with them each week. It became quite a social event and I looked forward to going each week. I really hope you get alot out of the hydrotherapy sessions - I know I did.
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • MballardMMballard Posts: 101
    edited 09/25/2012 - 2:11 AM
    It has been amazing for me since surgery. I wouldn't be able to do half the things I do in the pool on land. My sessions are typically an hour long, and when I finish my exercises, my pt lets me stay in the pool as lOng as I like - I can float in the deep end with my pool noodle to stretch my spine, or I can sit in the jets and let them gently massage my achy back. I go once or twice a week, depending on my schedule. Love love love it!
    L5-S1 Fusion, Discectomy on 7/10/12
    Herniated Discs at L3-L4-L5-S1, Spondylosis, Spondylolethesis at L5, DDD, Partial CES, Lumbar Facet Arthropathy
    Chronic back pain since 12/2010 (slip and fall on ice)