Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Artificial Disc

Does anyone know if Medicare covers cervical artificial disc replacement in Texas. I know that they do not cover Lumbar artificial disc replacement

• Medicare would be a federal program, so if you can find evidence they are covering any place then you would be covered. My assumption is no, given the fact there was some mis-reporting on the numbers of the artificial disc. I am not saying they are bad, just saying they found issues with the reporting on the trials and at one point in time it was thought they were going to be removed from the market.

First thing you need to verify is if your a candidate for one. Not everyone is, so be sure to check that. Your surgeons are the best ones to tell you if medicare covers them. Doctors are very aware of what insurance companies will cover what and what type of wording needs to be placed for it to happen. One easy thing you can do is call medicare and ask, while you might spend some time on the phone, they will give you the answer.
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 09/17/2012 - 10:02 PM
    Hi just wanted to let you know I was offered a lumbar artificial disc and was really looking into it. I was coaching ayso soccer at the time and at a three day turnament with over 5000 people there I was in a line behind a man that was in pain bad he said he had the lumbar disc installed six weeks prior and had just found out where it was implanted it cracked his vertabre they had to go in remove it and then do a regular fushion. I saw him again six months later and he still had issues but it was better. Then in the news the US company was even sued for copy right law and lost millions. My resurch showed that many of the same units implanted in Europe also had to be removed. Because of scar tissue and blood vessel some off them died from bleeding out during surgery.

Now it is years later and there are new devices out there and the last time I checked this out it was very important that the level above and below were in good shape. Do some homework and check out info from overseas as they approve these things quicker then our FDA. I have seen some new cervical units that look great but I have done no researh on them. Be carefull.Do some homework and today it might be a great option I would love to hear from anyone with a artfical disc that is over two years old(the disc).

What are your concerns? I am fushed at C5C6 and C7 and I have better range of motion then before surgery and if I didn't have cord damage and nerve damage I would be in great shape. I am also fused at L4 thru S1 and can do almost any movement that I could before surgery
    Good luck