Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hair loss after injection

Has anyone ever had a steroid back injection (2 of them) and then had hair loss a few months after? This is happening to me and my doctor has pinpointed it to the injections.
Nicole Pelleschi

• Trish323TTrish323 Posts: 55
    edited 09/19/2012 - 11:25 AM
    I noticed the hair loss also. I even clogged the shower drain I was losing so much hair! I figured it probably was due to the shots. Also have put on 10# s! I don't plan on Ever getting them again. My bloodwork was crazy after having them also.
  • I've had a little bit more hair in the drain than normal, but not too much. The thing that drives me crazy is that the steroid injections have made my hair really dry and brittle.

My hair guru confirmed she's seen this a lot. She also recommended I take biotin. I've been taking the biotin for a few months and I've seen a pretty major difference. My hair grows a lot faster and seems to be healthier. That MorrocanOil product is also really good if your hair gets too dried out.

Yeah, I hate the steroids. I am normally so healthy, and they've spiked my blood pressure crazy high (for me). Or that could just be the stress from managing all this back crap. The thing that kills me, and makes me think, Huh, how bad can surgery be, is that the cortisone shots have jacked up my menstrual cycles. Last time around, my period lasted for 24 days. :(
  • i hate to see someone else going through this..but ever since last may/june ive been dealing with the same thing. so much hair falls out that i cry and once my daughter asked if i had cancer bc my hair loss. i can count maybe 9-10 injections is the past 10 months. im done with them though bc they never helped and i really think its causing this hair loss. the first pain injection was done in february of last year. hair loss started a few months later and i had not done anything different.
  • \Wow, that sounds like a lot of injections. Are they all in the same place/for the same thing?
    I've been told by one doctor that six is the limit of cortisone injections/epidurals he's comfortable giving in a year. I heard from another doctor he'll recommend 3Xyear, max. That sounds like a lot.

The hair thing literally is adding insult to injury, isn't it?
  • Trish323TTrish323 Posts: 55
    edited 09/20/2012 - 3:20 PM
    My bloodwork is also way off since those shots. My cholesterol and triglycerides are through the roof and it doesn't make sense to me. Yes, I have been waaay less active since my accident due to back pain, but other than that my diet has remained the same. I blame these shots for that too, oh yea and my blood sugar is remaining high too!

My primary was not happy about all of this. So 2 weeks ago she prescribed a drug fenofibrate to help my cholesterol.
    2 weeks on this drug and Sunday night I had a massive gallbladder attack!! Guess what, I looked up the drug and it is known to cause gall stones!! Ultra sound and blood work in the morning... I have never so much as had a hint of gallbladder trouble. Like I need this s*** right now.....

I swear I am ready to return to my childhood behavior and use M& M's for " medicine... I think I will make the blue one a pain pill! ; )
  • la runner - i think 3 in my lumbar spine, 5 in the sacroiliac joints and one last week in my thoracic spine. yeah, it's too many. when i went for the last one in my si joints in may this year, they refused to do anymore even though the neurosurgeon ordered it. they said ive had way too many.

trish- hmm...makes me wonder. i have cholesterol check earlier this year and it was 1 point from being high and i haven't changed anything either. i agree, ima start just using cake for meds bc it makes me feel better and cost less.
  • Wow, that sounds like a lot of injections. Are they all in the same place/for the same thing?
    I've been told by one doctor that six is the limit of cortisone injections/epidurals he's comfortable giving in a year. I heard from another doctor he'll recommend 3Xyear, max. That sounds like a lot.

The hair thing literally is adding insult to injury, isn't it?
  • WOW!!! I am so glad to find this site!!! I have had EIGHT....8....injections since October 15, 2014!! I have one of the very best Orthopedic Surgeons in the country, who is Ortho surgeon for several Pro football players as well as one of our in-state University teams. He has told me that as long as I need the injections, he will order them to help me preven surgery. But, my HAIR IS LIKE STRAW!!! My hair is a beautiful salt and pepper gray, has NEVER in my life been dry, I have taken Biotin for 7 years, it isn't helping! I take 20,000 mcg per day per my dermatologists orders. I even trimmed my hair because I thought it was split ends. No help there.

I can't wait to get to the health food store tomorrow to get the Rosemary shampoo to try it! I have always have beautiful hair that has brought me many compliments, now I am embarrassed by it.

Thanks, ladies for the help!!
  • Twisted MamaTTwisted Mama Posts: 1
    edited 02/21/2015 - 6:59 PM
    I lost at least half of my hair after two spinal injections. I'd also had two in my feet and one in my shoulder, but those three are normal. Thought it was post menapausal hormone loss, so went on hormones. Now believe it was due to the spinal injections. Started on Biotin and applying pressed virgin coconut oil to my remaining straw hair. Both have helped tremendously. Making an appointment to get off of the hormone replacements.
  • Hi
    A lot of these posts are old but that is alright I learned a lot.
    I have had a lot of injections over the last 18 months and lost so much hair,
    it continues and of course I loved my thick hair.
    On top of that horrible side effects pain, bones cracking/popping, weakness, mental
    spacy/forgetful but that is improving, hip Problems the list goes on. I know the shots
    caused what it did. He also hit something with one shot it was like fluid flushed up through
    my back and bubbles traveling across my hip and butt. I told him that was not right and
    he just ignored it but his assistant told me sometimes they hit a nerve or muscle.
    It would take desperation for me to get anymore. My colestrol and heart rate both of
    which I never had any issues with are now a concern it all adds up.
    Oh and my stomach had been a slight issue before the shots but after all --- broke loss
    I ended up having surgery. Anyway they took their toll.
    Best wishes
  • sweetsiegessweetsiege Posts: 2
    edited 08/25/2015 - 11:49 PM
    I have had three injections in the past year and my hair is falling out pretty rapidly. My last injection was four months ago and I am still losing hair. I have had a complete lab workup by a Endocrinologist and everything was normal. Has anyone had any luck with hair returning after stopping the injections and if so, how long did it take!

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
  • I have had three injections in my lower back in the past year, last being four months ago. My hair has gotten very thin and is continuing to come out . Has anyone had any experience of the hair growing back or is It a permanent loss? I am through with injections too and trying a chiropractor now - too soon to see if it works. I might add I had a complete workup by an endocrinologist three weeks ago and every single test showed up normal, he had no answers for the hair loss.
  • chelle7264cchelle7264 Posts: 1
    edited 08/25/2015 - 11:48 PM
    I can't count how many shots I have had in my back in the past year. But I have lost a lot of my hair! Have become depressed about it on top of them not helping with the pain. I am going in Friday for Radio Frequency it has worked on my left lower back. Now if they can get it right on my right lower back we would be good. But I will not do anymore shots! They don't work and it's not worth losing my hair!! I am like the other women on here. I want my hair back.

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful informTion!
  • shepherdbsshepherdb Posts: 1
    edited 08/25/2015 - 11:47 PM
    Just like everyone else here, I have also lost a lot of my hair and have searched for answers. It began 2+ years ago when I lost hair by the handfulls and I had such thick hair! I saw my primary doctor, a dermatologist, had my thyroid check with blood work, an ultrasound and even had a thyroid scan, seen an endocrinologist, which all of this came back inconclusive. I researched and found out that cortisone injections cause hair loss! (wish I found this much sooner!) I began these injections 2 years+ ago and from the first to the last, I had 7 total, having an injection in each SI joint. I just had my last shot 5/14/15. I am praying my hair will come back as I have read that medication can possibly cause perminate loss. I will not get another injection again. I see some of these posts are from some time ago, have any of you women got all of your hair back after multiple injections? I feel for all of you as this has been so depressing, and to top it off, I may need to get a fusion of my joints.

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Brenda Shepherd
  • I had two injection in September 14. Within a few months I started losing my hair. On top of that the texture changed, from fine silky hair to rough
    thinning hair. It was so tangled I. Couldn't get a comb through it. It took six months to improve
    8/31/15 microdiscetomy laminotomy
    8/15 reruptured l5
    12/24/13 laminotomy/discetomy of L5
    9/98 laminectomy l4/l5
  • In 2013 I had four Steroid injections. Within about two months of the last one I had massive hair loss. The texture of my hair has changed, too. By the beginning of this year it was starting to come back. I had to start getting the injections, again. Massive hair loss, again. I now have bald spots on the top. Thank goodness, for wigs. My heart goes out to anyone going through this. You just want to sit and cry. My advice for women is buy a wig or topper, take it to your hair dresser and have it shaped, and most people will never notice. I hope my hair comes back and maybe it will, a little. Until then I will have less pain and cute wigs.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I have had six different types of injections for my spine over a year and a half. The last two were steroid injections, which were less than a year ago. My pain management doctor didn't have to say it, but in other words tried to tell me the steroid injections had nothing to do with it. I am so angry because I had hair all the way down to my rear and now it is more then half cut, due to my hair getting so stringy, I had no choice but to cut it, yet it is still falling out by the strands. I am losing my hair everyday and I don't know what to do about it. Today I came home in tears from the office because I was pretty much told, it can't be the steroid shots. I am reading so much of what everyone is saying here and could anyone tell me what I can use? My sister told me not to bring it up again to the doctor, for fear he may drop me as a patient because I am taking pain medication and muscle relaxers from him. I took them meds before I seen him and I KNOW it is not the medications that are doing this to me.
    If anyone see's this, PLEASE help me as to what I can do. Still in tears.
  • suztbeessuztbee Starkville, MSPosts: 1
    I had cervical steroid injections for 18 months attempting to avoid a multi-level vertebral fusion operation.  The injections did absolutely nothing to help but caused me to gain weight, develop a rounded "moonface" and drastic hair loss.  All very depressing.  But I am happy to say that four years later, my hair is growing back finally!!  My chubby cheeks are going away even though I ended up having a two level fusion C4-5 & C5-6 the steroids are out of my system and I will NEVER use steroids again, not even when I have bronchitis!!  Women's Rogaine foam has helped as well as collagen supplements and vitamins for strong hair & nails.  Good Luck Ladies.  Wish our doctors had warned us of the side effects before said procedures!!

• Glad I found this discussion and hoping it explains what happened with me.

I had a severe disc herniation in June, caused me massive sciatic pain. Was pretty much bed bound for 2 months and was originally advised to have surgery - but avoided this and thankfully 4 months on it has healed really well.

Recovery was going really well. I've been jogging, even started back at the gym this month. Thought everything was going great until my hair started coming out in handfuls. I had insanely thick hair and always naturally shed a lot because it was so thick. So I didn't notice the hairloss initially until one day I noticed it wasn't sitting right and had taking on a weird dry texture and looked really flat. It felt like straw. Then I noticed some weird thinning and when I got a hair cut it became abundantly apparent something drastic was going on and there was a huge amount of thinning. I went to the doctor did blood work which all returned normal but hair continued to come out and thin. I actually have a weird bald spot on my head in one position which 5 weeks ago was thick hair.

I had 2 steroid injections. One in my thigh and one in my spine in June and July. Hair loss seems to have started in September and intensified into October. Really hopping this is only temporary reaction and the hair comes back. I was quite attached to my hair :( Just when you think you are over the back issue something else comes to kick you while you are down :/