Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Doctor Help!

I am on pain medications prescribed by my PCP for 2 years. She just moved. I saw a new doctor at the same clinic yesterday. In the past I would call my PCP med assistant and she would have me come into the clinic and sign for my meds. The new doc wants me to see her monthly and try different meds. Her goal is to get me to the lowest possible dose of narcotics. She was quite opinionated about narcotic drugs and about how my use was handled by my pervious doctor. She doesn't like to handle Narcotic drug patients. There will be urinalysis and contracts. She said she read my summery and knows I have tried many things like multiple meds., Surgery, injections, Blocks, SCS trials 3X's, PT 4X's (currently going) etc...She offered Gabapedin or lyrica. Both drugs cause bad side effects for me. She offered Cymbalta but I told her my insurance doesn't cover new drugs very well. She prescribed Elavil as a nerve pain drug. I took one last night and had to call in to miss work today as I had a headache, dizzy, nausea ect. I am wondering if I should try to go to another doctor. I felt like a drug addict just because I take these meds for pain. I have been dealing with this condition since 2006. I continue to try to work and remain as active as possible. I will say that work has made many acomendations and I haven't been able to do as much lately due to increased pain and decreased mobility. Not sure what to do next. Sorry for the rambling. I feel kind of spacey right now.
Severe DDD. Klippel Feil Deformity. Cervical Foraminatomy that turned into Lamy. I have tried so many treatments, therapy's and medications.

• I'm sure you do feel spacy after taking Elavil. My doctor put me on that crap to help me sleep, it's awful. I was in a fog the whole next day after I took it. I cut it in half, same effect. I took 1/4, same thing. I hate that stuff. Now I take valium for sleep. It doesn't leave me all hungover the next day. Lyrica gave me bad side effects as well. I am currently on a high dose of Gabapentin/Neurontin. If I miss a dose I get really sick to my stomach. I don't think it's doing any good either. I tried Cymbalta too. It didn't work for me at all, but they affect everyone differently.
    You feel like a drug addict because that new doctor is making you feel like one. IMO, go elsewhere. You should not be made to feel that way just because you take pain meds. I don't like being on narcotic pain medication either, but here's the way I look at it: it's either take the meds & be able to function like a normal human being OR don't take them & lie in bed all day wishing I were dead. I've tried it both ways. I choose to take the meds. I wish doctors would understand that MOST people take pain meds to improve their quality of life. A lot of them do understand that, but a lot are jaded because of all the druggies out there seeking out narcotics to get high.
    I hope you can find a good doctor who doesn't make you feel like a criminal. I just moved (again) so now I have to start over with a new doctor. I am really dreading it because my old doctor has me on a good combo of pain meds/muscle relaxers that is working. I just pray this new doctor doesn't change things around.
    Keep me posted on what you decide to do. I pray things will get better for you.

ACDF C5-C6 01/2002
    ACDF C6-C7 12/2011
    Prognosis: Permanent nerve damage in hands/arms, all treatment options exhausted-- lifetime CPP
  • BkinsBBkins Posts: 364
    edited 09/19/2012 - 4:04 AM
    With a response like that I would be looking for a new doctor. Some doctors act like they are god and know it all. When I run across one like that I just get up and leave. It can be tough to do when your getting pain meds but try to set up a appointment with a PM doctor while still going to this one that wants you off everything. Some of these doctors need to walk a mile in our shoes.
  • backbback Posts: 190
    edited 09/19/2012 - 6:00 AM
    Why did you reject the cymablta without at least trying it? It has been out on the market for quite a while. You are automatically assuming your insurance won't cover it without even checking. The worst that can happen is it doesn't work and causes side effects. The best that can happen is it helps and you get to reduce the narcotics. I try everything that my doctor offers me. On several occasions, I have had to get waivers so the drug is covered. When you work with the doctor like that they know they have a patient that will try anything.

Bkins, based on Nancy's post, the Doctor wants to reduce. Isn't that what anyone would want? To take the minimum amount and still be comfortable.

• I have been taking Cymbalta for about 2 months now and is working well, 60mg daily. My insurance will not cover and even when my primary tried a prior auth to get approved they would not so for now I am on samples as I can't afford 300 a month. I just hope I can continue samples until my insurance company decides they will one day cover. I like Nancy did not know until my pharmacy called and said insurance would not cover:(

I worked for my primary and would hate the thought that if she left that one of the other docs in practice would talk bad about her and I would definetly be finding a new doctor in that case. I think what Nancy is upset about is when we find a combo of medications that work then someone else comes along and wants to change everything to medications I know nothing about. This would make me nervous and upset also. It has nothing to do about trying to get to minimum for me. I can take as little as 2 Nucynta daily and then have a bad day and take every 4 hrs plus Baclofen. Some days are just hard to get through without meds. Would I like to be off completely....of course. Do I think I will be anytime soon? Doubtful:(