Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any restrictions regarding taking walks after SCS implant?

I just had SCS surgery,Friday, September 14th. I go in for my first follow-up on the 21st but nothing was said about when I can start taking casual walks. I used to walk my kids to and from school (about a half mile each way) and since the weather is so nice I would like to start walking with them again (plus the fresh air would be nice!). Anyone know if this is a restriction and for how long? Thanks!

• I started walking fairly early after my implant. I just did what felt comfortable and really tried to not push things to hard. That was really cryptic, sorry. You can always give your doctor a call to see what they say.

• And I really must make myself do more of it. I had an unfortunate run-in with a couple of nearly wild dogs and I've been a little reluctant to resume but I think walking is always good, especially if you ease into it and don't take on 3 miles the 1st walk! Just listen to your body. It will tell you.
  • Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 118
    I had my SCS implanted the first week of February this year and I had no restrictions on my walking. Unfortunately, I cannot walk much - maybe a couple of blocks on a fabulous day but otherwise I cannot manage very far. Before mk, my doc just said to not over do anything.
  • SoftballmomSSoftballmom Posts: 52
    edited 09/19/2012 - 9:19 AM
    Thank you so much for your responses! I'm going to surprise my kids and walk to pick them up today! I'll bring my cell phone just in case...
    Kathy, I remember your incident with the crazy dogs!! Yikes! That's too bad that those dogs have made you reluctant to walk again!
    Thank you all again! :-)
  • kathyykkathyy Posts: 580
    edited 09/19/2012 - 12:26 PM
    I will not improve if I don't get my overall health, most especially my endurance, if I keep sitting around "whining" about a couple of dogs. I'll take Sallie this weekend but I'll also take my hub's golf club?? Isn't it easy to start relying on excuses? Especially when, like me, you've been able to "hide" behind them for a few years. I'm gunna get my buttinsky moving again. But I will take my cell phone ;)))) Kathy
  • I made it through the walk! I threw on shorts and sported my TED hose with pride :-) JK! The walk to get my kids was fine but my back was hurting, actually spasming on the walk back home. I'll try shorter walks and build up a little more tolerance but it was nice to get out in the fresh air and my kids were excited to see me show up at school--that definitely made it worth it! Thanks again for your responses! I appreciate it!
  • Walking is great and that firstime outside in the sun feels so good. Just be careful a fall even a easy one could migrate a lead and change the game plan.

Kathy can you carry pepper spray In case the dogs come back? Golf club takes alot to fight off a few dogs
    Just a thought

• I walked today and even did some weeding. Here in the Atlanta area a little cold front came through and this afternoon was lovely. I am now taking my cell phone and the golf club. The animal control officer said these particular german shepherd mixes have been "on the loose" for awhile and that pepper spray would just have made them more dangerous. But this was an unusual case. I live in a "gated" type of community. Ordinarily this would never have happened. But it really freaked me out. Ironically, had I NOT been walking my little corgi, Sallie, I would have been less incumbered. Sallie was out of control trying to protect me, if you know what I mean? It's ok now. I am "back on the horse" and really enjoyed my exercise today. I was a runner for 25 years and had a couple of bad dog attacks. Seems like as I get older, I feel more vulnerable. Now I feel really bad for all the old people who drive really slow who I "flipped off!!!!" Man, I need to go to confession now and I'm not even Roman Catholic.

Rickilalas said:
    Walking is great and that firstime outside in the sun feels so good. Just be careful a fall even a easy one could migrate a lead and change the game plan.

Kathy can you carry pepper spray In case the dogs come back? Golf club takes alot to fight off a few dogs
    Just a thought

• What a great idea! We have a golden lab and German shorthair and pepper spray sounds so much easier than taking them and getting walked by THEM! :-). I love all the great ideas everyone has offered! Thanks!
  • Sounds like I need to take my gun (or the hubbies shot gun! lol, can you picture me postop, walking, carrying a Mossberg 500?! lol) on walks post op! Or, just get a treadmill.... I tell ya, I love dogs, I have my lil shih tzu, Maddie, she's my baby, but out by yourself walking and seeing a big dog, is scary.

Kathy, I used to be a runner too! I miss running so much! I had a treadmill a few years ago, but my husband sold it because I wouldn't stop running on it... Doc said I can walk all I want but NO running :-( makes me sad thinking about it.
  • Mmmmmmm which would be worse Mel with a Mossberg or Kathy standing there with that finger waving in the air?
    On the fun side I went shooting with a friend and his wife. She wanted to shot my defender 12 gauge. OK that's fair so I loaded it with the first four with light dove loads and then that fifth shot was a very strong defense load.
    You kind of had to be there LOLbut it was worth it.

On the serious side I now know how much it helps when some body helps open a door for you. I do have more patience for older people and disabled people out in public and wish everyone would help each other out a bit
    More and just take the time to help some.