Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Definitely Needing Some Help!

Hello, I'm Ranee. I have been having severe sciatica issues since 2008! I know most of you on here know exactly how I feel when I say I am sick and tired of all this pain I deal with on a day to day basis. I do not have my official MRI report right here in front of me but I know I have several disc herniations L4-5 L5-S1?? area. My symptoms include pain in the low back down throught buttocks, down the leg to my feet. Also, a large spot on top of thigh completely numb. Anyway, since Febuary 2011 (when I finally got health insurance) I have had 5 epideral injections with one of our pain managemnet md's in my town. Injections seem to help for around 3 weeks. Never actually taking the pain away but making it bearable where I can at least walk. My question is how many of you have gone on this long with this "sciatica" and had no relief? I am concerned with me having this issue for 4+ years now that I have severely damaged my nerve to no return of ever being normal?

• Wow 2008? Thats a long time for sure. I dealt with it for about 1 1/2 years. Then I started ESI's, had 3 in 8 months. So by the time I had surgey ( 2 weeks ago ) It had been 2 years. Obv I am no doctor but from what I have read if you have severe sciatica for over a year your chances of non-surgical "healing" are slim.

Everyone is different though but after 5 EDI's I think its time for you to at least get some new Dr's opinions.

Good Luck!
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!
  • @Ben...I think so too!!! do you mind me asking what surgery you had and how thats been going so far?
  • ben_indianabben_indiana Posts: 288
    edited 09/19/2012 - 12:03 PM
    I had a microdiskectomy on the left side of L5S1. 2 weeks tomorrow & things are going really well. Ahead of scheduele! Its not all roses, if you check recent posts you will see a detailed thread of my past 2 weeks. Feel free to DM me with any ?s. Other post titled Microdiscectomy Complete!
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!
  • Somehow throughout my busy day this morning at work I have managed to read your posts on your microdiscectomy. What a journey you have been on! Sometimes, I think I am so not ready for all of that and other times I know that I am. btw, I am 25 with a almost 7 year old daughter who is very active (competetive cheer) so stayin home immobile at any given point is never an option for me. The line I always seem to hear the most is.."You're too young for all these problems" as if I choose them or something. Very frustrating at times. Right now I am at a stand still with my back/leg pain due to really having not many options to choose from. I have decided that once I have my gastric bypass surgery (due to have in 2months) and things dont get better as the weight comes off I will be demanding someone go in a fix this terrible situation I am. Anyway, Most people I have talked to about this or who have had the surgery have had very good results and I can only hope to one day have the same positive experience as others. Like I said before, my biggest concern is that I have unwilling let this go for so long I have caused myself permanent damage :(
  • And that is to get some opinions. With another surgery upcoming, I would think it would be a bad idea to try to have another soon. But I dont know that to be true at all. I have no kids but I completely understand there being no point where life can stand still while you get fixed. But eventually you just gotta do it. I was planning on waiting until the beginning of next year... but when I added injury( after already starting to plan surgery) I just couldnt wait anymore.

I work as a shop foreman & have alot of stress & responsibility. But I just couldnt deal anymore. I understand that is not the same as being a parent, but if it comes to back surgery I hope you have parents, siblings, husband, friends, ect that will make sure you can get through it.

And the youre too young thing is complete bullcrap, I dealt with the same issues for awhile. There are teenagers on this site with sciatica & DDD. Its crazy but it can happen.

Good Luck!
  • Had similar symptoms to yours although not for as long. I would definitely get some other opinions (I got about 5 that all said the same thing). I am 31 and also here the same thing "you're too young...." Here's my story: I have a grade 1 spondy with a bilateral Pars Defect at L5/S1 and some other issues at the same level. I have tingling/numbness, pain, and weakness in my legs. I have opted to have the surgery for a number of reasons.

1. The neurological symptoms are getting progressive worse including the weakness and numbness
    2. I'm tired of the instability causing the pain
    3. The disk between L5/S1 is so compressed that I am almost bone on bone at that level
    4. I'm starting to have issues at L3/L4
    5. 2 doctors, 2 PT's, and a chiropractor have said that I need it

Ultimately the decision is yours and you need to determine if your quality of life has been impacted. The length of time you have had your issues may have indeed led to permanent nerve damage. However maybe a surgery can help it from getting worse or from devloping new issues, I don't know this for sure and no one else probably does either. I know there is no guarantee that my pain I'll go away but I will have a more stable spine which, at least in my mind, should help.

Single level L5/S1 360 fusion with 6 screws and a rod (10/29/12)
    Diagnosis: Grade 1-2 spondylolithesis, Pars Defect, L5/S1 disc tear anterior and posterior, DDD, spinal stenosis