Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Why did you need another surgery?

On this forum, I'm reading where people have had multiple surgeries.

Was it due to other injuries,

Did you go for a less invasive surgery and ended up having to go for the more extensive,

bad surgery,

or didn't follow the instructions given post op to the letter?

I'm wondering if I'm getting both depressed/frustrated because I feel that my recovery has been set back by NOT following the instructions. I'm doing my best to rest and follow the rules, even though I'm now at the 60 day mark. Hoping that if I did strain anything, more rest and continuing to not twist, turn, bend, reach, and not lift more than 10#'s, I will be okay.

Any responses as to why you needed more than one surgery, I would appreciate it.

• Now I wish I had a great answer for you. My answer is pretty much all of the above. I think the biggest thing was that I went for the least invasive surgery, that's what put me in the position I'm in right now. Scar tissue has caused the most problems and that was because I went for the least invasive surgery.

One of my surgeries I re-herniated because I didn't follow doctors instructions like I should have. 60 days after surgery I re-herniated the level above

My last surgery was on the level below one before. Once you have had a neck or back surgery you have to be very careful to keep from herniating the level above or below. Mine was the level below,

Needless to say after one spine surgery, you must be very careful not to cause more troubles.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    many times before and still will be because it is a very important topic.
    I think back to my first spinal surgery in 1978 and I had no idea that some 30+ years later that I would have had all the spinal and joint surgeries I have had.

Why? What did I do or not do

For me, it was failing to really accept my condition. Once I recovered from that first lumbar surgery and started to feel good, I stopped doing all the correct things (specific exercises, ignoring limitations and restrictions, eating habits, etc) and being young at 28 felt I could do anything.

Then 4 years later, the next lumbar surgery and that continued every 4 years until the 1990s, when that switched to cervical surgeries. Each time, I look back, it was my failure. So in many ways, I have no one to blame for my surgical situations but myself. The medical field did what they were suppose to do, but I didn't

It took me until I was around 60 with the first of my total shoulder replacements that I realized my health was up to me.

Do I remember that every day? No, but it is something that is in my focus.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I see my surgeon in 2 days. Week 9 and I was ecstatic that I could finally get into my own car. I can't drive it yet as I do not have any range of motion to look behind me. I have a 2001 Suburban with a foot runner....not sure if that is the name of the step.

I finally read my "diagnosis" and "return to work" slip. It mentions not only my L5-S1 TLIF surgery but it also mentions "mild scoliosis", So of course when I see my Surgeon in 2 days, I will be asking him more questions about my current condition/healing time (on track or did I do damage), also future prognosis as to how to not have more surgery. What will I be able to do, what is out.
  • I had a repeat surgery almost exactly a year after a PLIF L5-S1 because of infection and displacement of all the hardware. Nothing I did could have changed this result.

After the redo, my direct question to my surgeon was how to ensure I NEVER need back surgery again. His advice was: Get your core as strong as you possibly can, so that your abdominal muscles take some of the strain off the back joints.

As he explained it, once one area is fixed in place by fusion, all the movement and stress get carried over to the next vertebra. This is why lots of people have one after the other disc herniate.

I'm just up off the floor after my core workout. The discomfort I've had from sitting working all day is 90% less!
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    edited 10/18/2012 - 8:22 AM
    Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!