Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4-L5 microdiscectomy 10 days ago

after leg pain, numbness, and weakness, I had my microdisecectomy on 9/10. The surgeon told my husband that the disc herniation had started to calcify. Initially, no change in the sciatic symptoms but have read that can take time.

My question is, my pain has really lessened a lot but what I have is just a pressure, pain, overall discomfort in my back (other than the still existant sciatic pain) . Is this hard to describe pain experienced at all by others? If so, how do you describe it?

Thanks in advance!

• new2sciaticpainnnew2sciaticpain Posts: 28
    edited 09/20/2012 - 5:33 PM
    Oh, I should add, it's worse when my pain meds start to wear off.
  • I also just had my MicroD on the 6th. I am very thankful that I have been pretty pain free since the surgery. Do I have soreness, stiffness, discomfort. Yes absolutely, but I dont even consider that pain compared to what I had dealt with. Yesterday, I did 4.5 hrs of office work. It didnt hurt as I did it but I was very sore after, did alot of icing & it helped ALOT.
    I have had "sensations" in both legs both buttocks & lower back. Is it pain, no. tingling, not really.

Mine was also calcified & it was actually 3 ( a conjoint & a reg) very compressed nerves. My surgeon told be I could have all kins of "feelings" in all of those problem areas and that would be normal as the nerve heals.

And yeah, the 1st week of vicodin & valium I didnt feel nuthin! as I back off the meds all that intensifies. Muscle spasms too, not just in the bach, butt, and legs either. Been getting those all over! not painful or severe, just annoying!
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!
  • So it sounds like our recoveries are comparable and I need to just give it time. I go back to work Monday. I hope it goes ok....
  • same here, overdid it just a bit today with PT home excercise, walikng, and too much sitting standing & wlkin around. Got pretty uncomfortable & sore. also I had taken no meds. Did some icing & took half a valium ( trying to back off ). Laid flat for an hour & felt alot better. Have a feeling mondays gonna be same kinda deal. Plannin 6 hrs work then PT after.

Muscle spasms common & annoying last couple days also.
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!