Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back pain medication \ alcohol

Hi ,
I'm currently taking 3 x25mg Indometacin 1 x 25mg amitryptilene and 1x80mg propanalol daily , the first 2 for chronic lower back pain (the last 5 weeks) and the latter for prevention of migraine (the last 15 years )
I would like to be able to have the odd glass or two of white wine on these meds , as i have taken the popanalol for years i know that is ok with alcohol,i haven't however had any since taking the other two .
Ive read various things , some say its ok, some say NO never !
I have a couple of social occasions coming up and would just like a small amount to drink .
The back pain is enough misery in itself and not being able to relax with the odd drink seems a wee bit unfair !

Any advice please? !

• My guess is that your not going to feel very good while on pain meds and a few drinks. In the US all PM bottles state not to drink. I've found that if I have 1 beer that I feel OK the night of but boy am I not feeling good the next day, so bad that I'm not willing to have any more beers. You may be one to get away with it but why take the chance? You have other things, drugs, coursing through your body so it may be a really bad idea.

Another thing that was/is taken away with back issues.
  • is that it can be hard to limit how much you drink. If you have 1 or 2, you might be tempted to have more. If you can stop at one, you will probably be ok, but it can be hard to stick with only one.

Alcohol and NSAIDS can really mess up your stomach. I would just find a soft drink to carry around.
    I have Ankolysing Spondylits, Ulcerative Colitis, DDD and a bit of OA to make things fun. Most of my problems are due to inflation of many joints, tendons and ligaments. I see a GP, a Rheumatologest, an orthopedic Dr and a wonderful PM.
  • Some pain medications as well as meds of other types are absolutely NOT to be taken with any amount of alcohol since the combination perpetuates the side effects of the medication and can be fatal if taken with any amount of alcohol. If you want to drink , then you can not take the meds, and if you want pain relief, then don't drink.......harsh I know but I would rather you believe that I am harsh, than to read a post about someone dying because they disregarded the warnings on the labels or the patient instructions.
  • I take a crap load of meds for my back, heart, cholesterol and diabetes. I've tried to have a glass of wine with dinner and I felt like holy hell afterwards. I've totally given up alcohol. Honestly, I'm not missing it at all. The medicine I take for my back makes me pretty dang drowsy as it is and I figure alcohol will just add to that. Plus, pain meds can supress your breathing and so can alcohol. It's not worth the risk.

I also have a motivation not to drink and that is a family member who got hooked on pain meds after getting hurt at work and is an alcoholic. That started about 10 years ago. Today, he is a drug addict with 6 illegal drugs found in his last blood test and a family who is being torn apart by his alcoholism and drug addicition. Seeing my little brother like this kills me and is probably the main reason I don't even want to look at a bottle of alcohol.

I know that's not your case at all but everyone taking pain medications needs to beware of the slippery slope it can lead to if abused.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2