Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pnched nerve in neck?

The past several days I have had some left shoulder pain, and now the pain has moved down my left arm and into my hand. It feels like a pinched nerve? It has me all worried and I don't know what to do next. I am wondering if a chiropractor would really help, I just went to one two days ago but I am still in pain. Going to a neurologist I am sure would be useless too, unless I want surgery or pain pills.......any advice? It would be great if this would just go away with time... Thanks

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    edited 09/23/2012 - 2:25 AM
    A neurologist or orthopedic surgeon that specializes in the spine would seem to make sense as a next step. Just because you consult with them doesn't mean they will advise pain meds and or surgery. They may reccomend physical therapy, muscle relaxants and/or many other potental treatments that are non surgical or narcotic pain meds.

It would seem that visiting one of these types of practitioners would provide the rx for an MRI or Cat scan to get the "inside" story of whats going on.

You would have every thing to gain and the potential of nothing to lose (except the problem).

Let us know what you decide and how it goes .... hoping for healing and resolution of your problem .....
    gotta get a diagnosis first though.

With concern,

Sorry for the standard advise of see a M.D. or D.O. that specializes in the spine.
    Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• IRIEIIRIE Posts: 2
    edited 09/22/2012 - 12:28 PM
    Those are definetly the symptoms for a nerve issue in your neck. Usually neck pain does radiate to the shoulder too. I had some things go on and my index and thumb went numb on one hand, along with unreal shoulder pain. My tricep melted away, crazy how nerve issues affect us. i wasted 3 months dealing with my primary c.p. Within 5 minutes of talking to my orthopedic sports physician, he knew what it was.
  • Although you're probably right about it being a pinched nerve but do you have neck pain also? i would be concerned and get it checked out right away if it's down the left arm. Did ice help relieve the pain? I hope it's a muscle strain and you're alright.

I have DDD in my neck and bad arthritis and get a sore elbow and finger at times. I saw my Dr and she sent me to Physiotherapy for gentle manual traction not the machine! It really helped my pain and numbness. But really any pain down the left arm get checked out. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Don't always assume that because you have nerve pain that it's coming from the spine. You could have muscle spasms due to strain and it is the cause of nerve pain. Always try conservative treatments before considering meeting with a neurosurgeon or orthopedic surgeon. They generally will suggest surgery. Just because you have DDD does not mean that's the pain generator. Be knowledgeable and try to be in tune with your body. Always meet with a doctor to assess what might be the cause. Good luck!
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • MaineCoonLvrMMaineCoonLvr Posts: 14
    edited 09/24/2012 - 5:35 AM
    hi bgh -- i can empathize with your potential neck nerve problem. if you have an appt with a neuroogist, i don't think (hope I'm right) you need worry about the word surgery, at least for the first many months you work with him/her. neurologists will help diagnose whether you have a pinched nerve and most likely will begin with the calmest therapies available, in case they work: for instances, p.t. or massage or traction (this will feel soooooo good, i was so hoping this therapy would have continued to work for me.........never hurt at all as you are gently stretched and most likely told they do NOT want it to hurt)......also there is this llittle cute device with gentle electrical impulsees available and they will help you with that.......... there are tons of tools they will use before ever ever talking surgery............. wishing you the best of luck in finding pain relief