Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L-2 L-3 - C-6 C-7

hello i am new to this forum in fact i have yet to reach out in this way but i am mentally desperate to just tell my story about chronic pain and confusion that goes with it.Brian is my name i was injured jan.2010 the result was L-2 L-3 fusion in april of 2010 then C-6 C-7 fusion in sept of 2010 both areas were injured at same time but we agreed to repair the worst of the 2 first.Since then i have been "ok" with mild to moderate everyday pain.everything changed around march of this year with toes in both feet tingles and numbness.Pain in mid back area right next to my spine (thorasic area)i have had mri of C and mri of T sections in past 3 mos and is negative of any other disc problems as far as upper body goes.L spine mri is next but i have a good idea its L4-L5 due to L2 L3 being fused but ive been wrong before The mid back pain is whats confusing,it starts in between shoulder blades then carries almost under arm pit area also wrapping around my lower rib cage area more so at first on right side but now carrys to left side.very very frustrating.i am 48 ex-smoker with kids i do not work any longer my job is to manage pain.my hope out of this forum is to gather insight and maybe just maybe be able to help another while getting support along the way.thank you all i will check back later feel free to reply.god bless.

• HI Brian,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find others including myself whom deal with both cervical and lumbar issues. As far as the pain your describing sometimes you can have what is called radiating pain, which means it radiates outward from the original area that is injured. When you had your cervical spine fused did they confirm that you were fused? Also were you completely pain free and the pain returned? Have you tried some massage therapy for the upper areas? Are you currently taking any muscle relaxers? It is not uncommon once they fuse and the area is solid that you begin to use your body in a different way that you can set off some pretty bad muscle spasms. Sometimes trigger point therapy can help.

As to the lumbar issues, the numbness would be of concern. Try looking at a dermatone chart and see if that follows any patterns you are describing. There is a condition called adjacent disc disease that happens once they fuse one area it causes all the weight and movement to be placed on another area and you can herniate another level. With that said it doesn't always mean they will need to do surgery on that level, but possible conservative type treatments can help. So you might have tried them before without any luck, but they just might work this time. The mri's that you already had done, did you get copies of them? My personal belief is that it is always good to get copies of them, and have for your use. Also they may need to do a EMG of your legs to see where the tingling is coming from. Unfortunately sometimes it is just not as easy to find what can be causing pain. For instance I had a pain in my back as your describing and in the long run it had nothing to do with my spine, but rather my gall bladder. It wasn't till I was really sick did they look at my gallbladder. Not saying that is what you have, but it may not always be our spines.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. If there is anything I can do, don't hesitate to pm me. Take care and keep us posted on the outcome of the lumbar MRI.
  • Hey, are those spine levels or todays lotto numbers ? Where is the power ball #?
    Welcome to the world of spine pain and all of us here are as confused as you are no mater how long we been here,
    Sadly spine conditions seem so complicated just when we think we have it figured out is just the time we realise we dont know nothing and why we still suffer,

Make yourself at home kick back, we have pain pills on the cofee table in the candy dish , Upers, downers, and everything in between, We runing low on depression pills as everyone been grabing it by the handfull ,

Welcome and best wishes,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,