Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1st apt with painclinic tomorrow, what to expect?

Hi all, hope all have had as good a weekend as is possible. mine is exciting as i am about to get a new grandson tonight (we hope, although his sister took 4 days to be born). a lovely distraction.

i have my appointment with the pain clinic tomorrow, i have no real idea what to expect, what to ask about etc. (i dont really know what they can do apart from suggest painkillers. any suggestiongs as to what i should ask etc would be gratefully recieved.

on here it seems that a good relationship with the pain clinic can make one heck of a difference, with people seeming to have a variety of relationships, going from great to dreadful. am so hoping that it all goes well, i feel a lot is riding on it.

thanks as always for your support,

tina ann
advertisement

Comments

• Congratulations on the expected arrival of your new grandson! That first cuddle with a new grandchild is very special.
    It's hard to know exactly what will happen at your pain clinic appointment tomorrow.
    At mine, I saw the registrar first for almost an hour. He was extremely thorough. He took my medical history, examined me very carefully and asked about my pain and how I was controlling (or trying to) it. He then took me through to meet the consultant who also was very thorough. He wanted to wait until he saw a new MRI of my spine before deciding on a plan for me.

After seeing the scan, he wanted to have me referred to a neuologist to rule out MS and some 'other conditions'. He told me that Epidural injections (that the neurosurgeon consultant had referred me for) would not help me because it was bone and 'hard' discs that were compressing my cord and nerve roots. He gave me Nortriptyline, which has helped me quite a bit with the nerve pain.

I hope your appointment goes well and that you will get some helpful relief.
  • Congrats on your grandson! I pray it all goes smoothly for your daughter/daughter in law.

This is what happened at my first appointment (from what I remember):

They mailed me a bunch of paperwork to fill out before I got there. I brought that paperwork and my most recent MRI. I filled out another sheet about my pain that day when I got there.

When I saw the doctor she did a physical examination. She watched me walk, did a bunch of reflex/strength tests, and talked to me and truly listened to me about the pain (thank God)! She then ordered some bloodwork and ordered a new MRI. (they will order mri/x ray, whatever kind of tests). Then we talked about medications. Then I got the new mri and came back 2 weeks later.

Anyway, pain docs can do lots of things like...

Administer/order steroid injections, trigger point injections, botox injections, all kinds of injections.

Prescribe/follow up with physical therapy

Prescribe all kids of medications. Pain medications are not just narcotic pills like vicodin, other types of pills can help.

Suggest things like accupuncture.

Refer you to a surgeon.

I have a great relationship with my pain doctor... I hope you will as well.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • I had to bring all my meds in the bottles and I also brought a list of other meds I was on. I also brought a report from my MRI although some Drs may want to see your actual CD disc of your MRI, x-rays. It's a pretty good assessment of your pain and they check how you walk, reflexes etc. and best to know what causes the pain, what makes it worse like walking further than 59 feet or difficulty standing more than one minute or 10 minutes. Hope it goes well and most of all get a good Dr. who listens and helps you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • welshladywwelshlady Posts: 121
    edited 09/23/2012 - 8:59 PM
    thank you so much for sharing your positive experiences, i wont need to be referred to surgeon as already had surgery, think its more for the myelopathy that i am left with. i will let you know later how i go.

Edwyn Jack arrived last night, 8lbs 9 oz and both baby and mum doing well, my son sounds shattered but very very proud! i am so looking forward to meeting him soon and having that cwtch (a welsh cuddle).
  • well the outcome of filling out loads of forms before i went (which werent asked for and are still in my coat pocket!) filling out the pain chart again, saw a man, he asked a lot of questions, seemed concerned that there might be someone else waiting in the waiting room so left the room twice to make sure, then took a phone call from a collegue who was talking about another patient. ho hum.....

has decided to inject cortisone into facia muscles so will send an appointment. thinks its all upset and needs a message to tell it to calm down..... so will wait for appointment to come through.... anyone else had such injections into back of head?

didnt address anything else at all and was out in about 20 mins. feeling a little apprehensive and not sure he heard me when i told him what the surgeon said about anomolies, things not being where they should be.... wouldnt it be worth considering that for back of head?

oh well.... time will tell now to work out how to get my grandson!! ;-)
  • hi welsh lady -- congrats on that grandkid....bet you can't wait to begin the spoiling...smile. your description of your first time with this clinic doesn't seem to be as positive as what others had written prior to your appointment. BUT, it surely does seem as if trying the cortisone shot ?could? be a tremendous help and that sounds great. just remember --- there are bunches and bunches of pain clinics out there -- and if one is not pleasant or extra-good -- please be willing to try another. there is no such thing as a 'nasty list' for those who change clinics...... i hope you live in an area where a drive to another clinic would be possible. i wish you so well with help from your shot -- it seems to be of great help to so many that get these shots. i wasn't very lucky with mine -- but that was because my situation just isn't good for it............ yours will hopefully work magic on that pain. getting our bodies 'used to' the idea of no pain may result in less pain...............good luck --

• on the safe arrival of Edwyn Jack. Enjoy that cuddle!

I hope that these cortisone injections will give you some relief.
    Let us know how it goes.
    I expect you will have to wait a while for them.

• Sorry to hear the doctor kept leaving the room and didn't really listen. I hope the injections help you. If he is like that next time.... maybe try to find someone else.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
advertisement