Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New term I can't define on MRI

Had a new MRI the other day for my back, and there's a term in there I don't get..."fibroosseous hypertrophy". I have Googled it, and I can't find it anywhere. I'll type the whole impression here just to give context:

1. L5 grade 1 anterior spondylolisthesis with bilateral spondylolysis.
2. Fibroosseous hypertrophy at the sites of lysis.
3. L5-S1 annular disc bulge with endplate spur abutting the thecal sac and contributing with anterolisthesis and fibroosseous hypertrophy to moderate to severe neural foraminal stenosis, greater on the left, with possible impingement of the exiting L5 nerve roots within the foramina.
4. L4-L5 annular disc bulge with endplate spur greater on the right slightly indenting the thecal sac and resulting in mild left and moderate right neural foraminal stenosis.

All in all, this isn't greatly changed from my MRI 2 years ago, and that's a blessing; still, the terminology is different and I'm not familiar with fibroosseous.

PS: I haven't been on here in a while because my daughter is having some very terrible headaches and the weirdest MRV (that's a venous MRI of her brain) I have ever seen. Nothing will take your mind off your own pain like having a daughter with pain. Maybe someone will have seen something like it before...can't hurt to put a link to it here: http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/Ad3650/

It's the first 3 pictures


  • Perhaps a spelling error for Fibrosis (extra fibrous connective tissue)???
    I have to assume you have a follow up with your General Practitioner or spine doctor, right?

    Sorry to hear of your daughter...hopefully they figure her headache issues out. A colleague of mine has cranial pressure giving her headaches and then she went on meds that caused blurred vision. I forget what they have diagnosed her with but she said it's rare and that you can go into 'remission' where the pressure reduces and the headaches and vision issues clear up until the next episode. It must be awful to watch her in pain.
  • Hmmm, I will Google that; thanks for the suggestion! I am going to go back to my spine doctor for a followup, but I delivered the CD and report to my pain doctor today. I am actually doing quite well, not taking any narcotics at all, just tramadol and Skelaxin and Advil.

    I am very interested in what you said about your colleague! If you get a chance to find out the name of her condition, I would be very grateful. I did talk to Mayo Clinic today about an appointment, and I am also looking at the Barrow Institute in Phoenix.
  • backbback Posts: 190
    edited 09/24/2012 - 5:01 PM

    Diverse group of processes characterized by replacement of normal bone by fibrous tissue containing newly formed mineralized product.

    Hope that helps.

  • I wonder if that just means arthritis.
  • It means scar tissue. Maybe the radiologist learned a new word.

  • BlueSkiesBBlueSkies Posts: 59
    edited 09/25/2012 - 3:51 AM
    If he uses it 9 times he'll never forget it. :)

    I used the "justanswer" dot com website and talked to a neurologist, and he said this:

    Dr Sathya :
    Fibroosseous hypertrophy is not totally synonymous with arthritis, but it is a related condition, in the sense the osseous hypertrophy is due to arthritis. Osseous is the term related to the bones and in this context it implies arthritis (including facet joint arthritis). The fibro term implies non-bone structures, and in this context it implies the thickening of soft tissues (fibrous or non bony soft tissue structures) like ligaments, synovium of the facet joints etc, and the thickening of these bony and non-bony soft tissue (fibrous) structures occurring in and around the same location, so the term fibroooseous is appropriately used. And as pointed above it implies thickening resulting from bony arthritic changers as well as changes in the non-bony fibrous soft tissue structures like ligaments and joint synovium (another non bony fibrous tissue) etc in that area resulting in fibroosseous hypertrophy, and this change can be recognized on the MRI films of the spine as pointed by you.

    Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.