Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What is working for me so far...

This is my second visit to this site. I had emergency surgery about 10 yrs ago for cauda equina. My recovery after surgery was long, but effective. I just did everything the doctor said to do.

Not quite a year ago, I started experiencing bad pain. I took it easy, started walking a lot and it seemed to resolve itself. Then, about 5 weeks ago, the pain came back with a vengeance. The pain was unrelenting. I could not go to a doctor as I have no insurance, so, I that was not an option. I finally resorted to getting drunk enough to pass out for a few hours just to get relief from the pain (not recommended) and I was eating aspirin like candy (which turned out to be useless). I could only sleep for a few hours at a time, on my stomach, on the floor. I would go 2 to 3 days without a shower or changing clothes because it was too painful to lift my left leg.

I read something about a back brace, but since money is an issue, that was out of the question and I didn't know if it required an Rx. I finally went to Walmart to look for large Ace bandages and found none large enough. I could not continue looking because it was too painful to sit for any length of time (Walmart is about 1 mile from me).

I came home in a state of pain and near despair. Then, I had an idea! I remembered that about 4 years ago, I bought a body suit; one of those foundation undergarments that goes from your thighs and extends to cover the upper part of the body. I struggled to get the beast on my body. It took forever! But....after encasing myself within this contraption, the pain began to subside literally within minutes. I do not wear it all day. I wore it for a few hours, was able to remove it and went for a walk. I was able to sleep that night.

You can also buy these garments that do not have built-in bras, so, you need not be a woman to use one. You can buy them so that they encase your middle and extend up to just under the breasts.

Now, in addition to wearing this when I start to experience pain, I'm doing the "Cobra" position (in Yoga) to stretch and strengthen my back, walking, and I do "back bends" by using my hands to "walk" down a wall backwards (No, I can't do a real back bend). I'm also watching my diet hoping that eating healthier will help me heal and lose weight ( thus reducing stress on my back). I am not pain free 24/7, but the improvement is phenomenal.

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to give some background and share the results. Had I done this 5-6 weeks ago, it would have made a world of difference. I am also using guided meditation (found on you tube) to help facilitate healing and deal with the anxiety and pain that appear to go hand-in-hand for me.

Please let me know if this worked for you.

Men, if you want to try this and you are too shy to do the shopping, send your wife, girlfriend or another woman you trust to do the shopping for you. It may take a few purchases/returns to get the right one, but it's worth a try.

Seriously, I am amazed at the difference this made. I am also taking a daily vitamin, glucosamine-chondroiton (sp?), and a couple of ibuprofin if needed (no more aspirin for now). I cut the vitamin in half and take half in the a.m. with 1 glucosamine-chondroitin and then do the same with my evening meal.

Good Luck to all. Let me know if you try this and if it works for you.