Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recovery with pets?

I am awaiting insurance approval for a single level ALIF with screws and laminectomy. I am single and live alone with no significant other just my 3 dogs (spaniel, doxie, and pit bull). I really don't want to board (way way too expensive) them but I can probably talk family & friends into taking them for at least a little while. I also don't think I can do this without my doxie but I know I won't be able to handle my pit bull. She is just way too strong. Any advise or experiences?

Single level L5/S1 360 fusion with 6 screws and a rod (10/29/12)
Diagnosis: Grade 1-2 spondylolithesis, Pars Defect, L5/S1 disc tear anterior and posterior, DDD, spinal stenosis

• tamtamttamtam Posts: 2,749
    edited 09/25/2012 - 6:18 AM
    Depends on what you have to do for them. For example do you have to take them on walks or do you have a backyard? As far as the feeding goes, just be sure to have a way to have the food raised. But you also have to consider getting the bowls off the ground and and filled, and then placed back. I actually had someone come by and feed mine for me. I had extra water bowls set out as to make sure they wouldn't run out of water. Now if there is anyway you can get them to eat in a higher place, such as a chair, couch or whatever and you have backyard you might be good to go. But if you don't you might consider letting someone watch them for a week or so. The no BLT restriction is going to be with you for awhile, which you might ask the doctor how long so you can gauge it.

Walking the dogs will actually be good exercise when you are on the way to recover sense walking is the one thing you should do a lot of and often. But if the pit is going to pull you, that might not be a good idea, You don't want to risk anything happening to the hardware, so I would ask your surgeon what is a reasonable amount of time?
  • I had help with the feeding and exercising of the dogs, but they knew I was "sick". Their company and gentle snuggling cheered me up no end and I'm pretty sure my Bichon diagnosed the infection I had before anybody else knew.

He used to sniff at my back and drape himself across the area if I lay down. After the second surgery, he sniffed again, jumped off and lay at my feet until I was about 4 weeks out.
  • Emily my doxie is exactly like that!

I know that I have to find a place for all of them at least to start with. Unfortunately, I foresee my pit bull Justice, being away for a while. I just know that I am not going to be able to handle her strength for a while. She's no more a bully than my doxie it's just her size/strength is making me leary. I know that I can train them to eat anywhere so I am not doing the BLT, although I never even thought of that. I have a backyard and they haven't been on walks in forever because I have been hurting. My sister said she would pick up the dog poop if she actually had to.

I'm just being overly nervous.

Diagnosis: Grade 1-2 spondylolithesis, Pars Defect, L5/S1 disc tear anterior and posterior, DDD, spinal stenosis
  • cactusredccactusred Posts: 46
    edited 09/25/2012 - 2:58 PM
    I had posted on a similiar thread to this not long ago, maybe it was another member, can't recall. I deffinitely know your concern with this. I've had a knee surgery, two shoulder surgerys and both were with 3 dogs and 3 cats. To tell you the truth, my first shoulder surgery, I think failed because of them. One of the cats doing their normal routine cats do, ran right in front of me, I tripped and fell, and was only about 6 weeks out from surgery, way too early to be bracing for a fall.

I loved those critters none the less, but a few of them passed on and what was left, my exwife had claimed as hers. Which as much as I miss the critters, I wouldn't want to play the shuffle game with a back surgery with no critter. Between feeding, watering, cleaning cat boxes, all with just my only good arm while I was mending from shoulder surgery, it was all I could do, let alone a back surgery.

If you can get some help or I know this isn't a option really but if you have got family that can take them and you could visit a little bit, it might be in your backs best interest. Honestly, I don't know how a person doing a fusion by themselves (I'm in the position as you), could do it without BLT.
  • We (in dallas)have a company that offers pet sitting.
    My family is going to stay with me for a week but I'm in the same boat as you.
    I have used the service before and they will come and feed your pets and walk them.
    It can be kind of expensive though.
    99/00 L4/5 & L5/S1 herniation
    2001 L5/S1 microdisectomy age 25
    severe DDD at surgery level
    2011 pars
    2012 RFA L/3/4/5
    7-02-13 L4/5 l5/S1 360 fusion ALIF PLIF
    DX spondylitis , DDD, scoliosis, and slight kyphosis
  • There are also pet sitters here in Vegas which I am sure out of my budget. I have many things I need to buy before the surgery so I am thinking that pet sitting probably won't be an option. I will probably be depending a lot on friends and family. Luckily they are pretty awesome.