Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Thoracic Vertebra Hemangiomas/High left thoracic scoliosis/Cervical discs protruding

I wasn't too sure where to post this, so I figured I'd give this forum a shot. Here is a short introduction:

I'm 39 (female, 5'1" 115 lbs), and have had numerous back issues throughout my adult life. The pain I have comes and goes, although mild pain is almost constant. When I was in my early 20's I had disc issues in my L5 thru S1. Soon after a doc said I had bone spurs in my cervical region. After a year or two of physical therapy my symptoms improved tremendously. Now for the past two/three years I've had a lot of thoracic discomfort. My primary doc did an MRI about a year ago, finding several hemangioma's throughout my lumbar and thoracic region (my T7 is almost completely covered and that's the region I have constant discomfort). I've been to four different ortho surgeons, and all have had their own diagnosis and treatment plans. The first one completely blew off the hemangioma's and wanted to focus on my 'unusually high left thoracic scoliosis'. This was the first time a doctor had mentioned scoliosis (and the xrays showed a definite curve). The next doctor wanted to focus on my left shoulder blade due to it's uneven appearance and stiffness. His suggestion was injections under my shoulder blade and facet injections to calm the symptoms from the scoliosis. The third doctor wanted to focus on my cervical spine in hopes of calming things down in my shoulder and mid back. He did perform a medial branch block on my c3-c5. No relief and all symptoms returned. On a side note...none of the above doctors ever did an xray of my cervical spine. This doctor also gave me the new diagnosis of spinal spondylosis without any explanation. The fourth doctor did an xray of my cervical spine and found a couple discs protruding, but wasn't too concerned. His concern was the hemangioma on my T7. His recommendation was for me to have another MRI in February 2013.

So, with all this confusion/frustration and no relief in sight...I began a log of activities, symptoms, etc. Here is what I have found after 3 months:

6/30 thoracic pain increased with exercise.

7/9 Thoracic pain.

7/11 Numbness in left foot
Can't lay on my stomach without pain in my back.
Morning stiffness

7/13 Still having numbness in feet, but back pain is better.

7/21 Feel like I have a virus or something. Low grade fever and up all night with major chest pain on left side.

7/24 diagnosed with folliculitis, taking Septra

7/26 shoulder and back pain are bothering me. Migraine, took imitrex

7/27 day 2 of migraine, took imitrex in AM. Muscles knotting around left shoulder, pain increase in thoracic region...right side of spine

7/28 day 3 of migraine now all on left side of face and head, took imitrex in the AM

8/3 began gym routine again. Evening aches and pain in left foot and ankle, right hand stiffness, and neck ache.

8/4 migraine. Pain on left side of face and head. Took imitrex in AM. By the afternoon my head, neck, shoulders and back muscles were pretty sore.

8/5 back to normal with mid thoracic pain.

8/6 & 8/7 left shoulder pain with shoulder blade noticeably sticking out. Thoracic pain increased. Shoulder movement difficult.

8/8 shoulder pain decrease, but thoracic pain has remained the same

8/9 same old stuff. Headache on left side of face and head. My head hurts to touch.

8/10 still have the headache :(

9/1 hard time walking with weight on my back.

9/3 woke up at night with left shoulder and thoracic pain

9/4 discomfort and exhaustion continues

9/5 tired and thoracic pain increased

9/6 headache beginning and really tired

9/17 headache with left shoulder knotting and burning in mid thoracic

9/18 mid thoracic pretty sore

9/19 shoulder and back pain continue with annoying pain in the left side of my neck. Taking Motrin

9/20 exhausted and pain in neck has moved to collar bone

9/21 same stuff :-/

Finally I have found a pattern! Just not sure what to think or which doctor to go back to. Any input/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. One other side note, I do have a history of thrombocytopenia and low WBCs. Right now things appear to be normal, but curious if that maybe a factor.

Brandi Shah

• tina coylettina coyle Posts: 125
    edited 02/12/2013 - 11:08 AM
    I hope you have had your scan by now and the doctor has got a plan for you i know what pain you are goin through i also have a thoracic scoliosis but it has only developed over the last 18 months because i have MIRscans nearly every 12 months dependying on how i am doing and this is new and i find this a nagging pain that never seams to go away the onl releif i get is resting on my side. I hope things get better for you and you get a good doctor .