Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Two surgeries upcoming, which to do first

I have an Osteo wanting to do a complete shoulder replacement. After the shoulder is healed completely, my board certified neurosurgeon is going to be doing a 2 level L2-4. My questioning is which should be done first. There are so many things to think of. I'm going to need a walker or rollater walker (I already have both left over from previous surgeries. I've been working with PT so I have my strength up right now so I can walk without a walker though not for long distances, which makes me think that I should do the shoulder first. After it heals completely I will then be able to put weight on the shoulder and walker to get the other surgery done.

The other side of the coin is to do the L2-4 Fusion first. I could put the weight on the shoulder for a short period of time, but what happens if my PT regresses and I am not able to put weight on the shoulder to use the walker? The question is how long will I need the walker after the fusion? The less time, the less worry. Less time on a walker will create less stress on the shoulder, which is barely holding up now. I've been pushing the physical therapy with questions on what they would do. They are so vague, I'm sure they don't want to answer and have something not go right.

I'm actually lucky in that if something goes all wrong, my first floor of my house is set up for a wheel chair (sort of). The padding under our carpeting is very thick so someone would have to push me around all the time, unless the fusion is what goes wrong and it is before the shoulder so I could still wheel myself in the wheelchair. Our first floor is set up so that there are no steps, I could even get outside without help. Although by then the weather will be too nasty.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    The only true answer you should get is from both of those doctors. Also input from your Physical Therapists might help.

Recently having both shoulders totally replaced, you could be looking at anywhere between 6 months to 18 months before you are as close to normal as you will be.

The recovery time for any of my lumbar surgeries did not take nearly as long.

When I had one of my hips totally replaced last year, I know I needed full strength from my shoulders while
    I used the walker and then a cane. Even though I didnt need the walker that long (about 3 weeks), I
    know that I needed to have my shoulders in good shape.

Two questions I would ask.....

Which hurts more?
    Which one is keeping you from doing the things you want to?

Then of course get your doctor's recommendation

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com