Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recovery after laminectomy

Kam5KKam5 Posts: 1
edited 09/27/2012 - 9:21 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

My name is Kamen and I'm 60 years old. On 28 December 2011 I went to the hospital with complaints - strong pain in my legs, I wasn’t able to walk and meds didn’t work. Did my MRI and I was shocked – my neck surgery 10 years ago was with complications and already I had a new disc herniation in lumbar part. Dr. said the neck surgery is more urgent and on 5 January did microdiskectomy level C5-C6 with titanium cage. Unfortunately, 2 months after the neck surgery I was still in pain in my left leg, pills didn’t help much and it was hard to walk and doctors decided to do the second surgery lumbar one earlier than they was planning. Then on 22 March, 2 months after the first one operation I had a lumbar surgery laminectomy level L3-L4 and partialis L2, fixation L2-L3-L4-L5, modus Streiker.BAK cages, rods & screws.(Titanium).
Now 9 months after the neck surgery and 6 months after the lumbar laminectomy revision is -I can walk slowly but it’s hard and I must have a rest after every 5 or 10 min walking, the pain is bad when I am laying on the bed or sitting, and the most important I still have colon spasms which started from my low abdomen and then go to my leg, which make my recovery more difficult. Taking a pills like aulin, milgamma, benalgin and ect. Good things are I can drive my car and I strated workind in July after 7 months staying at home, but it’s difficult too.
I know is a complicated and very individual question but what kind of level of live we have to expect after a spinal surgery, is normal to wait and strive for being the same people before operation or this is a dream we have to refuse?
Once my surgeon said that he could removed the titanium instrumentarium from the lumbar laminectomy, is this possible?
I want to know how long you recover from the laminectomy and do you know something about low abdomen spasms?