Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 year anniversary

Hello everyone. My name is Tom. I've been reading posts for some time here and decided to tell my story. I have a 12 year history of lumbar pain. I have managed with PT sessions, epidurals, tens, numerous doctor visits and prescription drugs now and then. In July 2010 my wife and I were at our cabin. One morning I reached for the coffee pot and down I went. Back pain and leg pain like I never felt. Being that we were on our vacation, I just took it easy for the next few days. I went to my general practitioner after a week. By this time I had an excruciating amount of pain in my lower back and down my left leg. I was prescribed muscle relaxants and pain meds. After several weeks I could barely walk and the pain was unbarable. I saw a neurosurgen. Had epidurals, PT, mri and several myelograms. Tests revealed a far left herniation at L3/L4 with nerve root entrapment. Things were getting worse so I had surgery on October 7th, 2010 (open laminectomy and nerve entrapment). Resulted in failed back surgery with nerve damage affecting left leg. I now ambulate with a cane and see pain management on a regular basis. I have seen many differnt specialty doctors for options and suggestions. All conclude that further surgery would result in failure and possibly more damage to my already compromised nerve root. I have been on opioids and other drugs since 7/2010, (having the doses increease over time). I have had a spinal cord stimulator trial that was a failure in June 2011. I have not been able to return to work and was awarded SSDI in January 2012. Over the past year I have been having pain on my right side lower back as well as pain in my right leg. I had an epidural injection 3 weeks ago on the right side which has done very littlle. I see pain management October 2. As my two year surgery anniversary approches, I have to wonder what lies ahead. Thought it was time to introduce myself.
advertisement

Comments

• MballardMMballard Posts: 101
    edited 09/27/2012 - 2:42 PM
    I'm new here, too! I've also been suffering since 2010, and I've been through all of the conservative treatments as well with little to no success, AND I walk with a cane. I am 11 weeks post op from a discectomy and fusion at L5-S1, so still too soon to tell if it was a success. Fingers crossed!

I hope with all my heart that you can find some relief soon. Just wondering what kind of meds you are using - anything for the nerve pain, like Lyrica, gralise or neurontin?
    Michelle
    L5-S1 Fusion, Discectomy on 7/10/12
    Herniated Discs at L3-L4-L5-S1, Spondylosis, Spondylolethesis at L5, DDD, Partial CES, Lumbar Facet Arthropathy
    Chronic back pain since 12/2010 (slip and fall on ice)
  • tmwttmw Posts: 7
    edited 09/27/2012 - 2:58 PM
    Michelle, I'm currently on 75 mcg/Fentanyl patch, 10 mg oxycodone q4 hrs prn and 300mg Lyrica/day. I've been on so many different meds over the past years. At one point I was on 3600mg neurontin, a hefty dose.
  • I think my highest dose of neurontin was only 1800 mg. Of course, it didn't help anyway. You and I are essentially on the same meds, but your doses on all of them are literally double mine. Hopefully within the next few months I will be able to stop the meds completely and be pain free or pain reduced at least. Still holding out hope that this surgery is successful and I won't need any more surgeries. But I'm a realist - I know once you start with the spine surgeries, it's like dominos.
    Michelle
    Herniated Discs at L3-L4-L5-S1, Spondylosis, Spondylolethesis at L5, DDD, Partial CES, Lumbar Facet Arthropathy
  • Michelle, I wish you the very best! Hope it continues to go well. I'm on here a lot, so if you you need to chat, just let me know.
  • I've been checking in several times a day, too, usually on my phone. It's nice to know that there is always someone else around who understands all of this. :)
    Michelle
advertisement