Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does it ever END?

I know some folks are lucky enought to only go through 1 surgery or even just an ESI shot and never have pain again! On the other hand there are those of us that just can't seem to ever shake the pain and problems. 5 back surgeries and 3 fusions later I am having leg pains again. Having a Myelogram tomorrow and I'm sure there will be more work to be done on my lower back. This is so depressing and I am tired of missing work and hope my employer doesn't let me go during this very slow time at work. Has anyone else had this many issues with there back after having fusion surgery? I thought after your fused you should be good at that level from then on. Back feels great, but butt and leg are terrible when standing and sitting in a vehicle driving. Wish me luck tomorrow!

• >:D< >:-D< :hug: Don't know what else to tell you!

Single level L5/S1 360 fusion with 6 screws and a rod (10/29/12)
    Diagnosis: Grade 1-2 spondylolithesis, Pars Defect, L5/S1 disc tear anterior and posterior, DDD, spinal stenosis
  • The way my Neurosurgeon explained it to me, most of the movement in the back is at L4-5.If that is fused, the movement transfers to the higher-level discs that can't take the pressure and give way. He explained to me that I needed to get my core really, really strong to support the other discs after my fusion to help prevent this.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    For many, repeated surgeries and years of chronic pain seem to be the norm.
    Then for many others, the one surgery took care of everything and they are back to normal.

Why? What separates the two? There are so many answers to that, be even they are not fool proof.

What I have learned after all these years
    1 Remember your condition. Always keep it in mind. Do not do things you should not be doing
    2 Forget the past, accept today and begin to look forward to each and every day. There are so many more things all of us can do, we just need to explore that.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • For both of our sakes I pray there will be an end to this. Hopefully a good one
  • My Dr. called today to inform me that nothing major showed up on the 2 tests to explain my leg pains. Going in Wednesday to talk to him and look at films. This is what I was afraid of since he didn't call friday afternnoon. More wasted $ and a burnt vacation day and the pain continues to rule.
  • Hey Keith.....

I feel your pain....literally !

I had a lumbar fusion 2.5 months ago and still in a fair amount of sciatic nerve pain in my buttock , at my knee and on top of my foot. (i know you know what I mean) I keep hearing that it takes months and months to heal but am getting tired of the pain. It is much better than "after" the surgery , but worse than "before" surgery..... I see my surgeon in December, it will have been 5 months.....
    What test is a Myelogram ? I thought an MRI was the best test to have??

Different degrees of back pain since 1994
    Cortisone shots Jan/09
    Discectomy and lamenectomy April/09
    L5 - S1 spinal fusion July.13th/12
  • keith_45kkeith_45 Posts: 71
    edited 10/01/2012 - 4:15 PM
    The myelogram ct scan is a test where they put dye in your spinal fluid which makes your nerves show up better so they can see if something is pressing on the nerve. Thats the best i can explain it. Normally do this if MRI shows nothing. Try laying on ice often if you've recently had a fusion. That helped me alot back then and take it slow.
  • Ok...I get it. That sounds like a good test. They didn't see anything? I'm surprised to hear that the MRI doesn't always show everthing....I thought that was the ULTIMATE test.
    I laid on ice almost every day after surgery, it feels good but makes me even more stiff after. I found heat worked well too...
    I'm pretty well done physio but have to continue at home. I'm told to work my muscles as much as I want ,but to do it properly.....
    Hopefully your surgeon has some good news when you see him next!
    Take Care!

Different degrees of back pain since 1994
    Cortisone shots Jan/09
    Discectomy and lamenectomy April/09
    L5 - S1 spinal fusion July.13th/12