Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

removal of lumbar screws from fusion

Hello, newbie here. Has anyone had reversal of spinal fusion? I ha 4 levels fused and i am in constant pain. Had medtronic neurostimulator implant in janusry this year and it helps some but i live on multiple strong pain meds. Have also been getting platelet rich plasma thrrapy injections to sacroiliac joint. 3rd one this coimg tuesday. Looking into medtronic pain pump as possibility but it occurred to me to get all those screws removed from my back.
Anyone tried this?
Has anyone had luck with pain pump?
Sacroiliac hss caused sevrre groin and hip pain...not to mention pain in area above AND below fused areas. Had first flexible fusion in january 2009. Permanent fusion in Oct 2010 many injections since...epidurals, nerve ablation etc etc.

Thank you!
Best, Elly

• Its posible to get screws and hardware removed if you think the screws and hardware might be causing some of your pain,
    I had my fusion hardware removed , There is an injection called hardware block to see if it would be worth removing the hardware or not by this injection,

Injection will let you know if hardware could be causing issues or not, I have medtronic scs also that i am not too happy with, But when i had the pain pump trial with spinal leak that i just want to forget about as it was worse in my opinion as any of my spine surgery,

Rule out all other options before going extreme to pain pump if posible, Good luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 118
    Great and very interesting topic! I did not know having your fusion hardware removed was an option as I thought the bone grew around the metal as it healed but apparently not. My initial sense is removing the hardware would weaken the area and make your more susceptible to reinjuring or is that not the case? Also, who do you ask to do the hardware block? Is that a request to your NS or to your pain management doc or someone else?

Thanks, Jerome
  • I have 2 screws in each of my SI joints and the ones on the right side helped to start with in 2006 but since then the right side has increased in pain. I would like to know what kind of symptoms might develop after the screws are removed. My right SI joint hurts all the time with related pain going down the leg. I would like to know if having them removed will cause more problems than I have now.
  • There really is no way for anyone to answer your question, other than talking to your surgeon. They may want to do some test injections to see if the screws are actually the cause of the pain you are having, but as to what specific issues may or may crop up in your particular circumstance, you would need to discuss those questions with your provider.