Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ongoing neck spasms after surgery

Had 4-6 disectomy and fusion in December last year. Overall..I have been doing much better....however, recently, I have been having painful neck spasms that also lead to bad head aches. They are becoming more frequent and I am getting more and more frustrated. They usually last for a few days and when they hit.....I am down and out. I treat with Percocet and Vicodin but would much prefer not to treat this way.

Going into my doctor this morning and i am not sure he will be able to do much other than schedule an injection or give me predizone (steroids) to relieve swelling. Now I am not over doing it with lifting too much so I don't know why these re not going away. Doc said after surgery in dec that this was part of healing process and they would become less frequent. Not so much...

Any advice would be much appreciated.. Chuck

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I hope your doctor could help. I too have recently (past few months) had neck spasms and headaches again. I had acdf 5-6 in Oct. 2010 and had done great until now. I know that I did a lot of things to bring it on myself but still, it's rough. I had lived with neck pain for many years prior to surgery and now that it's back I don't know how I did it!

Good luck in getting relief. Let us know what you found out. I think I could stand the spasms and pain if only these headaches would go away!

Sorry I'm no help. I do sympathize though.
  • I agree with Debbie about those headaches! Since my surgery in February 2012, I've been able to function and get my life back. Unfortunately, I have terrible muscle spasms that give me such horrible headaches that I can't think straight.

What do you take for the headaches and spasms? I've not been on any real medication except a Valium at night to sleep. During the day, I just deal with it and do what I need to do. All I can say is I am glad I had the surgery, but honestly, I still think I am healing.

Chuck, I know that stretching helps me a lot. Do you stretch daily? Give that a try if you haven't tried it. Good luck with finding some relief.
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • I take Vicodin and percoset for spasms ..headaches. Now went to doc Friday and took X-rays. He said he wanted to get me into phys therapy again..yes, I stopped going in may some time. (Was difficult to schedule work and therepy). Now I fund a place close to work. Before I left the doc office....I asked doc for pregnozone ..not sure of spelling....it is an oral steroid. It takes spasms away by reducing swelling. Does the trick..... but you can't take often so it is just a band aid. Will give therepy a try again. Thanks to all for responses!