Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

A ray of hope

I have been on here for over a year now and gone through major ups and downs. I have Very sever sciatica that prevents me from walking many days. I had a bad expereince with a Pain management place and was not to keen on going back to another. After 4 trips to the ER recently and 3 days of calling, getting records sent, waiting and waiting I got into another one yesterday. This place actually showes some hope. The doctor was a MD and immediatly picked out of my MRI and examination why I can't get the pain under control. Very large tears in the disks and they are leaking out a substance that aggrivates the nerves.
This Place has started to institude a multi- faceted approach, injections, acupucture, exercise, medication, and mental health. This is very different from thelast palce that was just injections then medication then they kick you out.

I don't know if this will work but at least there is a ray of hope now. No one had even mentioned the tears before and they were in the first report from over 3 years ago.

I posted a topic "Never give up" guess I should have listened to my own advice sooner.

• your goin to be in a better place, its going to take time, and effort on both your parts.
    How you handle pain depends I think on your experience with pain before...have you been in pain and suffered before this?, or have someone who did before you?
    if so your...ahh kind of lucky, or not, because if they were an example of stoic, teeth in the grindstone going forward with life, and you emulate this, is good, or with the proper persons giving you the complete support you need, you CAN ACHIEVE, a better balance, it takes time, but your going in a good direction, try the package, and dont ever give up.
    you can be in a better place!
    Btw, Veni, Vidi, Vici...
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• I wish more doctors would look at the big picture and take every factor into account like that. So glad for your ray of hope! Best of luck!
    L5-S1 Fusion, Discectomy on 7/10/12
    Herniated Discs at L3-L4-L5-S1, Spondylosis, Spondylolethesis at L5, DDD, Partial CES, Lumbar Facet Arthropathy
    Chronic back pain since 12/2010 (slip and fall on ice)
  • I had my first set of epidermals at this new place and it was a night and day comparison. This place found where the nerve was pinched first, injected sufficent lidocane, then put the cortisone right at the pinch. The previous place never did that. I walked out pain free ( due to the lidocane I am sure), which was considerably different than the last place. Maybe this on will actually help. Only time will tell.
  • MballardMMballard Posts: 101
    edited 10/04/2012 - 2:24 PM
    I hope the pain relief continues for you long after the lidocaine has worn off!
    Herniated Discs at L3-L4-L5-S1, Spondylosis, Spondylolethesis at L5, DDD, Partial CES, Lumbar Facet Arthropathy
  • It is such a shame that so many of the doctors we see forgot that when they treat the body, they also have an effect on the mind and spirit.
  • Well the lidocane did its job, of diagnosing where source of your pain is. It anethatised the inflamed nerve root. Whilst this is only temporary anesthetic, by taking the pain away immediately, it confirms the location of the pain generating location.

Now, how to get permanent relief..... The nerve block has shown that it is possible, in theory.

All the best and my you be pain free eventually.
  • Unfortuanltly it looks like fusion will be required as I am back to square one after a few days. Now it is a matter of getting a doc to do it and one that is qualified. All so far said surgery won't help. It's a huge tear in the l4-l5 disk and hasn't healed in 3 years. I hope they will send me to Johns Hopkins as they have connections down there. Did not want surgery but after three years of everything else and being unemployed I have to do something so I can work. These ups and downs really get on your nerves!!!!
  • I'd be more than happy to provide the name of my surgeon - he's one of the best in the country, and he takes on a lot of "hopeless" cases and rare surgeries. Just PM me if you're interested.
  • I am getting better slowly but surely. Now that I know what the problem is I know what movements to limit. After 2 months there is progress and they have me on cymbalta now which does help. The tears seem to be healing as the nerve pain and spasms have reduced dramitically. Also my recovery time from flare ups is down from 4 days to 1.5.
    The metal health issue is a sticking point as so far no doc will see me because I am on PM and opiods. The receptionists will not elaborate and I do not understand this at all. I had 3 actually refer me to detox centers before they wold see me.
    Since the Cymbalta seems to be working I will forgo this approach until I can speak with the PM doc again and not the PA's that spend 5 minutes writting out prescriptions based on the docs notes.