Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Stretching, Scar Tissue and Pain??

I have had a number of surgeries and if I could create money like I do scar tissue, I would be a billionaire. Unfortunately, all is does is make me feel locked up, rigid and stiff. My scans show lots of scar tissue build up.

I am trying to decide if regular stretching helps or hurts. When I blew out my knee and had surgery, the stretching really helping get the mobility back. But boy, did it hurt!

However, when I do a lot of stretching now, I am in more pain. I am wondering if I need to keep at it and it will get better? I am not open to suffering for nothing ;} if possible!

I get differing opinions so I am wondering what your experiences have been. Do you stretch out regularly, do yoga or ? Any luck with Tai Chi?

I also suffer from inflammation issues and fibro and the stretching seems to irritate that.

Any advice?

• Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 118
    If I were you I would ask my doctor what her or his thoughts were on stretching and its effects. My body has always been tight and stretching was always a lot of work for me and I'd sweat like a horse by the time I finished - and I probably did not stretch enough. My experience was that after the initial soreness wore off I defintely felt better and looser too. If you are stretching properly and stop when you get to where discomfort starts to change to pain, I imagine it is good for you. But, if you push it until you are in pain then you probably can make your situation worse. I would ask for a physical therapy referral for the stretching so the techs can help you pick the best stretches for your situation and how to do them properly. I had to stop PT after my last fusion surgery because it caused too much pain so we are all different but you know that too! :)

I'd love to hear what your medical professionals advise you to do because I'm interested in trying to loosen up too. Good luck! Jerome
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,858
    My Deep Tissue guru person discussed alot about scar tissue to me. To net it out, he told me you had 6 months after surgery to really make the scar tissue pliable., and after 12 months, there really isnt much yuo can do to make it pliable, you can only make it liveable.

With all of my lumbar surgeries, I did not do the proper ongoing stretches to keep the scar tissue pliable. As a result I have to deal with a good amount of scar tissue pain, which at times can be as painful as it was prior to any surgery. So, that is me, gong through a lot of scar tissue pain daily.

Now, when I had both of my shoulders completely replaced, after 6 weeks post-op, the deep tissue guru started working on my shoulders. He was interested in the range of motion and that the scar tissue was pliable. No question that the sessions with him were very painful, bui today, I have more range of motion then I have ever had. Some of the pure
    medical doctors are amazed as to how well I've done with this complex surgery.

Sometimes, alternative medicine can work wonders
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I just scheduled a complete shoulder replacement and like you, my body makes scar tissue by the bushel basket full. In the packet of papers he gave me (all the pre op stuff) were orders for deep tissue massage at 6 to 8 weeks. When asked he said it is meant to keep range of motion. So I totally agree with Ron, but there are other modalities that will work as well. Check with your PT to make sure.
This discussion has been closed.