Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone here had an Occipital Nerve resection? (Nerves in neck cut out)

My wife had this procedure about 6-7 weeks ago due to her severe Occipital Neuralgia. She is probably 50% better than before, but the recovery has been much slower than we hoped and expected. She was hoping to be able to talk to someone else who has been through this to talk about what they went through, how they recovered, etc.

Feel free to post or PM me.

• welshladywwelshlady Posts: 121
    edited 09/30/2012 - 6:48 AM
    Hi Jeremy, i havent had that procedure but do have dreadful pain in the occipital area (since just before my surgery) 5 months post op and am now at pain clinic to have cortisone injections into the area. so i cant offer any experience at all to help just i can really empathise with the pain. hope you get the help you want and i pray your wife will get relief soon. good luck
  • I am sorry about your wife's nerve pain. What a kind man she has, that will post for her!
    Nerve pain is terrible. I dont have the Occipital Neuralgia myself, but have left arm motor nerve damage from herniated discs in my neck that was removed earlier this year. I had surgery 5 months ago, and still struggle with the nerve pain. Both my surgeon and pain management clinic says that nerve damage can take a long long time to heal. As in a year or longer sometimes. Im not trying to say that your wife will have a struggle for another year, but 6-7 weeks out is very early. Hopefully she will recover soon!
    We are always here for support.

Cause: car accident & genetics
    Effect: herniations C4-7, stenosis, osteoarthritis, myelopathy, neuropathy
    Non-invasive Treatment: everything under the sun
    Invasive Treatment: 2 level ACDF, C5 & C6, May 2012
    Moving Forward: SCS