Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

in pain

have 2 bullging disc l3-l4 cracked vertabre, pain is unreal. 24/7 diag. as lumbarsacral spondylosis. I can't do anything, seeing surgeon wed. how do i know its time. i can;t go on like this anymore....please help
Barbara Ann Edison

• I know I did. After 8 years, my last major flar up landed me in ER. I knew they would keep me...I just knew. I called my brother and he came over and I looked at him and my SO and said "you know if I go, I am staying?" Both knew...probably long before I was willing to accept it. I still held on to the last glimmers of hope that I could be dishcharged and move on. Finally after talking with the surgeon that was called in...I caved, I broke down and asked him to help me get my life back. I have 2 little kids...moving on....I had a 3 level fusion and pray ever day I am one of the successes...surgeon says so..I dont know, the past few days have been rough...Im about 9 weeks out! A whole lot of improvement and now some backsliding...Im sure it has to do with increase in activity.
    Know that surgery is a huge deal! I cried that I had never done it a couple weeks in...then I said thank God I did it, then I cursed myself...totally up and down! Recovery is long and hard...there are days I just want my life back, want to deal with my body presurgery...and there are days I walk without pain for 20 minutes and think..wow thats what its like. Be informed, trust your sugeon and have a good support system....I could not have made it through without all! I wish you well, and managed pain relief. Peace Ellen
    3 level fusion L3-S1 July 23, 2012
  • I am 31 and have a grade 1 spondy with a bilateral Pars Defect at L5/S1 and some other issues at the same level. I have tingling/numbness, pain, and weakness in my legs. I have opted to have the surgery, ALIF with screws/laminectomy, for a number of reasons (I don't have a date yet, waiting on insurance approval).

1. The neurological symptoms are getting progressive worse including the weakness and numbness
    2. I'm tired of the instability causing the pain
    3. The disk between L5/S1 is so compressed that I am almost bone on bone at that level
    4. I'm starting to have issues at L3/L4
    5. 2 doctors, 2 PT's, and a chiropractor have said that I need it

The last thing you want is to develop more issues later.

Ultimately the decision is yours and you need to determine if your quality of life has been impacted. I know there is no guarantee that my pain I'll go away but I will have a more stable spine which, at least in my mind, should help.

Let us know what you decide. There are many people here that can offer support and experiences, both good and bad.

Single level L5/S1 360 fusion with 6 screws and a rod (10/29/12)
    Diagnosis: Grade 1-2 spondylolithesis, Pars Defect, L5/S1 disc tear anterior and posterior, DDD, spinal stenosis