Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ok has anybody else had this Laminectomy surgery

rhinodecalsrrhinodecals Posts: 6
edited 10/02/2012 - 4:43 PM in Spinal Stenosis
I have been to three Doc. now and all have come away with the same plan. Which is surgery one doc wanted to do a complete fusion and two new disc. The last Doc I was wants to do a Laminectomy on L2 & L3 then one at L4 &L5.
Has anybody had this surgery and if so how has it worked for you? Also the other question I have is this my left hip hurts most of the time. my left knee some time feels week, my left foot feel like someone has pushed needles in my foot. Just the other day i started getting pressure pain in my lower back around the L5 area anybody have idea what that is all about. I would like to start working out because I feel that if I am in pain I may as will work out anyway. Any thoughts on that?

• Are you serious about working out if ypu are in pain anyways? Most of the time lifting anything over 20-30lbs immediatly leads to worse symptoms. If you could workout without making your pain worse id be srsly impressed
  • 1ofmanyinpain11ofmanyinpain Posts: 60
    edited 10/10/2012 - 11:23 AM
    I had a Laminectomy at L4-S1 back in 1999 for ruptured discs. I wish I could say that it helped me....but I can't. Of course that was a long long time ago...since then I have been DX'ed with Lumbar Spinal Stenosis, DDD, DJD, Osteoarthritis and 4 bulging discs. I also had a Decompression with Fusion (with the bone they took out of my spine, no metal) in 2005... that didn't help either. I also have Post Laminectomy Syndrome and my discs are very very thin now. I am due for 3 Caudal Steroid Injections starting on Halloween. Hooray!!! So, think long and hard about any surgery. Some people get tremendous help from it...Let me know what u decide...
  • Today is my 4th week post op and I am doing great! I had surgery on Nov 5th on two levels but no fusion. One neurosurgeon suggested a laminectomy with no fusion and the 2nd neurosurgeon suggested laminectomy on L4-L5 with fusion on that level. I had surgery with the first surgeon. I can now walk without a walker. You cannot do the BLT, no bending, lifting or twisting of your back. I ordered a cane on Amazon that will arrive soon. I suggest you get 2 opinions from the best neurosurgeons in your area. I had a great neurosurgeon from Atlanta Brain and Spine. I do physical therapy twice a week now, the first 2 weeks, it was 3 times a week. I am very glad I had my surgery because I was in pain daily with DDD, spinal stenosis (pinched nerve) which I believe you have. I would go walking and after 20 minutes the pain ran down my left leg, from my buttocks to the foot. My feet took turns on being numb, tingling with needles. After surgery that pain went away and the only pain I had was on the incision but it was not as bad as before surgery, and I had some numbness on my legs, but no pain.I could not workout and swimming was my only option. The more activity I did the worse it hurt. I had this pain on and off for 6 years with 4 epidurals, the last epidural in May did not take the pain away. Good luck to you and hope you get some relief soon.

Laminectomy L3-L4, L4-L5, no fusion
  • kamgramkkamgram Posts: 483
    edited 12/06/2012 - 7:05 PM
    I had my first back surgery in 1994 and it was a lamenectomy of L4-5. I didnt have any issues for 6 yrs. then started having sciatic pain and tried PT and ESIs then had same surgery on same disc in Oct. 2008 which re-herniated 3 weeks later and had 3rd lamenectomy on Dec 15, 2008. I hadnt had any problems until the past 6 months after my t horacic discectomy and noticed that sciatic pain was back in right leg. Had full spine MRI and re-herniation at L4-5 and herniation at L3-4. NS wants to do fusion from L3-S1 but just not ready for more surgery right now so since pain is not severe enough and compression is not severe enough I will wait it out. Good luck and I hope you find the right doctor to help you.

• Do NOT go work out unless it is walking, swimming, or stationary bike riding, heck, ou shouldn't even be lifting over 5 pounds!!