Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Today i am going to my physiotherapist for traction on my lower back . I had it once before and hated it because i felt like i could not breathe as the belts were so tight around me . Is this normal ?

• I've had traction a few times and never had belts on me they just did it with your hands and it felt very good. I couldn't wait for my next apt. because it would make my back feel so good. So if your having so many problems with the way there doing it then let them know and ask if they can do it differently. Good luck.
  • bevvygbbevvyg Posts: 12
    edited 10/07/2012 - 12:43 AM
    I have now had 2 more sessions and it wasn't so bad! I feel some relief too so hopefully after another 3 sessions i will see yet more improvement.Hope you are still doing ok too!
  • i have never heard of traction being used for back pain since the 1970s here in the uk .{because it doesn't work } my wife worked on an orthopaedic ward and she said that traction was being phased out many years ago ..i would find another
    physio ..swimming help with back pain
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    Back Generally lying down, feet tied, as we as upper back and tension was used. For those of you who saw Braveheart, think of it like Mel Gibson was near the end, upper arms tied and a horse pulling his feet!

Cervical Used it many times. Some headgear and under your chin, rope draped over a doorway and at the end, weights (mostly water bags). This used a pulley system that depending on the weight of the water would pull up you neck.
    Very comfortable and it worked. NOT to be used once you have had cervical surgery.

Thoracic Laying down, legs drapped over a table with a fixed set of weights on them. Then put into a harness, almost like a half corset. That was attached behind you and pull slightly. That was done to stretch out the thoracic area.
    That helped me, but not long term.

There are different methods of traction, some more conservative than others. This concept is what is used by the DRX9000 type of machine.

As with any type of treatment, medical approval and supervision is key.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I am in the UK and my Physio uses traction quite a lot having had a lot of success with many of his patients. I guess its like everything..in that it works for some and not others!
    I'm now on my 3rd of 5 sessions, there is some relief but i still cannot do anything physical , ie, walking , cleaning, standing etc for more than half an hour without the pain and stiffness creeping in again.Mynext step is back to my GP and try for a referral to the hospital with a view to injections . Its 5 months now with no referral so think it must be about time something was done!
  • How long did your physio say it would take for you to start feeling better? I was always told that it takes a long time for your body to stay in the position that there putting it. Its like retraining. They put it back and it goes out until it realizes that its better in the position that they put it.
  • @Tammyc..He didn't say , he suggested that after the 5 sessions i'm having (free of charge) i should feel some benefit. I amhaving these through my Employers Insurance. I may need more so would have to self fund them. I can feel some benefit already but nothing long term yet , ie, i went to the supermarket today and after my usual half hour walk i was stiff and my lower back was hurting. It only eases with rest : (
  • My PT does traction on me 2x a week. Been there 10 times now.
    The straps bug me from time to time. Better than having them start slipping.
    I get heat packs on my lower back traction and electro stimulating for 20 minutes.
    When I first started going it was great releaved most ofmy pain. But then after 5th or 6th visit I was not seeing the relief from it.

L4/5 herniation13mm sequestered fragment L5 root compromise.
    L3/4 annular tear.
    L2/3 3mm bulge and annular tear.
    Tens mpo combo system
    Epidural L4 L5 28Nov12 / 12Dec12 / 26Dec12. All no relief :( SO FAR
    MicroD L4 L5 May 23 2013
  • backache99backache99 Posts: 1,338
    edited 10/13/2012 - 7:01 AM
    i am amazed my friend who is a private physiotherapist does occasional use traction but hardly any more as he has found it to be of little use he tends to use electronic aids like short wave diathermy .but i also asked my family doctor and he said that traction is used on babies to support certain brakes like a femur instead of surgery but as a tool for pain relief its hardly used in uk hospitals
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
This discussion has been closed.