Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New member with Cervical and Thoracic Pain

I have been dealing with chronic pain of the neck and back since Sept 12. I started treatment in March 12. I have had MRI, ECG, CT. The MRI showed 4-5 bulging disc in back and severe arthritis in my neck causing headaches.. I started with non-prescription drugs, physical therapy, and now in Pain Management. So far they have done epidural injections (which didnt work) and now they did Facet Injections--I had 1 injection on the left side of neck which gave about 60% of relief on that side. Even though this facet injection has help my neck a little bit, I have alot of pain that radiates from my back to the top of my head, resulting ing severe headaches. That pain that I am experiencing is horrible. I am unable to do anything. I believe I am getting very depressed, because of this situation. Has anybody went through this situation. I feel like a pin cusion with this pain managment. I am taking Neurotin---and it takes the edge off the pain, but doesnt give me relief. Right now I am considering going to the ER, due to the unbearable pain. Any suggestions are greatly welcomed.

• Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 118

I'm sorry no one responded to you - we do care and this is atypical of what I've experienced on these boards. Hopefully, you are doing better. Were you injured or your pain developed over time?
  • Is your PM not giving you any pain medications or muscle relaxers? Just Neurontin? No wonder you are considering going to the ER. I would call them & let them know that you are in so much pain you are seriously considering going to the ER. If they refuse to do anything about it, go to the ER & then look for another PM. That's what I would do. I mean, come on, they could AT LEAST give you some Hydrocodone or something. That's ridiculous! You should not have to suffer like that. I hope things change for you soon & you find some relief. Keep us posted please & hang in there. You are DEFINITELY not alone.

ACDF C5-C6 01/2002
    ACDF C6-C7 12/2011
    Prognosis: Permanent nerve damage in hands/arms, all treatment options exhausted-- lifetime CPP
  • I had very similar pains, particularly left neck/ head. Awful long lasting headaches. Would take days to ease off.
    I used to call them bear traps as once they bit, they wouldn't let go.

I went down the injections path, with varied success.

But a new doctor examined my neck and said the problem was tight muscles pulling on the head/ neck.
    Remedial massage soon proved the correctness as when the muscles were treated they relaxed and the pain went.

Did that for over a year. Then started taking magnesium, about 2 years ago, and the problem hasn't returned. I have only the occasional massage now.

Get someone to check your neck, shoulder and back muscles for tightness, knots, etc. A good physiotherapist or remedial massager for instance.

This may also be what is known as a tension headache. You can research online. Very common.