Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

c1 c2 occiput fusion

I'm supposed to have a c1 c2 and occiput fusion soon. I'm in my 30's and terrified. Has anyone had this and can you tell me what life will be like after? How is the stiffness, pain etc...will I ever feel normal again? Or am I going to always feel the fusion discomfort? They wanted to use the BMP Infuse but I'd rather use my rib instead because of all the negative press about the Protein. Can I get info or advice from ppl? Thanks.

• BadhbtBBadhbt Posts: 4
    edited 11/11/2012 - 5:09 PM
    I had a c1 c2 fusion. I almost had to have occipital but they wanted to try this first.
  • Hi Sue,

Why are you needing this fusion to be done? Have you considered trying Prolotherapy? Google Prolotherapy for neck instability. There are many videos on it, I'm doing this now to help with my instability. I am being told to get C1-3 fusion done due to Os Odontoideum. The fusion surgery can be seriously bad news, forever painful, limiting and so many other things...

What worries me is a life of never having a clear thought again because I'd have to rely on pain meds forever...then having to go to a pain management clinic only to be treated like a drug addict...because many people needing pain meds often turn to taking too much or abusing other things like alcohol. Pain relief is sought, and that's understandable for anyone...but it can be SO detrimental to one's health...especially using prescription meds.

Yes...they can cause a person to have many health issues...sorry...this is all that goes through my mind on this darn surgery I'm said to be needing. It's such a frustrating scenario...but please look into Prolotherapy and be sure it's "comprehensive Prolotherapy" meaning 60 plus injections per treatment versus just handful.

If you get the surgery and still remain with pain long after the surgery...still Prolotherapy is said to be helpful.

I wish you the best!!!

• patrain17ppatrain17 Ottawa area, CanadaPosts: 103

I year ago today I was in the hospital after a successful 2 stage decompression and fusion (fused from occiput to C3) surgery. The surgery had to be done because my life was somewhat compromised and my quality of life was steadily declining. Worst part, I didn't even know how much it was compromised until after the surgery. During the surgery, the doctors realized that even my breathing function were affected by my condition. Kind of scary when you think about it.

So now, I can say God bless I went trough with it all. I am now feeling a lot better. No more numbness on the left side, no more loss of control when walking, no more tingling and no more lighting strikes going trough my body when doing certain movements. Can I say that everything is perfect, certainly not. But I'm slowly learning to live with my loss in range of motion (40-50% rotation and others) and the neck and head aches that I get when I try to do too much. Driving is always a challenge and being in a crowd, trying to see everyone and everywhere is not easy. That's usually what triggers my periods of neck pain and headaches.

All in all, I can say that I'm much better now than I was before and I'm glad I went trough with the surgery. But don't expect things to be easy, expect them to get better.

Take care!