Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Physical Therapy

Joe241JJoe241 Posts: 185
edited 10/04/2012 - 4:37 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all I had my first pt eval on August 30, 2012 and told the therapist I was going on vacation September 2, 2012 for a week and was told a scheduler would call and set up times. Dad died while we were on vacation so I wasn't thinking about pt, when I called the pt place I was told I was being dropped for lack of participation and the office was closing and would have to go to a different office and have another eval. I said how could I be dropped for not showing up when I was never contacted to schedule times. I called my neuro office today to get a refill on my Vicodin and was told I should not have any pain this far out from surgery, I still have neck pain as well as numbness and tingling in my neck and both arms,hands and fingers. When I move a certain way for my pt exercise I have pain and numbness that shoots from my neck to arms, a great time to not have meds when just starting therapy. I've been taking Vicodin for at least 2 1/2 years straight and now have to stop cold turkey. I hope all are okay and thanks again for all who gave their support when first my mother died followed by dad three months and one day after mom died. GOD Bless, Joe
ACDF C5-6 July 10, 2012 with plate and screws.

• Hi Joe. Sorry about the physical therapy office dropping you. You can always get a new prescription for PT so you can start again. Trust me, they will take you back because they want your business.

Is your pain better after surgery, the same or worse? Did the stress over the summer with your family make things worse? You could just be in the "long" recovery period. I stress the word "long" because you really have to learn to reuse your body in ways that will prevent pain. I wish you much luck in finding the right balance to reduce pain.
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • It does take time for everything to settle down after surgery. The death could be making the pain worse because your muscles are probably tense right now.Keep up with the physio and try and get your own family doctor to prescribe something to you even if it isn't vicodin. Explain to him or her your circumstances and i'm sure they'll help you out. I was told three weeks after my surgery by my family doctor that i didn't need my pain meds. anymore and i ended up going to a clinic and i explained to them what i went through and that my doctor wouldn't give me anymore pain pills and they gave me a prescription.
  • Thanks Lili and Tammy I wish the pain was only muscle, last night I hardly slept and I tossed and turned all night which also kept my wife up. I had shooting nerve pain from neck to entire body which caused me to twitch so much my wife could feel the bed move. I called the neuro office and was connected to his attending whom was on duty in the ER, turns out he was the same dr I saw before being discharged after my surgery, he remembered me and we have the same birthday. Anyway he said he couldn't write a script for narcotics but if I went to the ER he would have them write the script or I could try my primary doctor. My primary had office hours this morning so I called and explained what was going on and I had spoken with DR." " and my primary sent a script to the pharmacy. Though I am very grateful to my primary for helping me out yet again I am also concerned because I know I have other disc problems in my neck and surgeon took the conservative approach which I fully agreed with, I hope this isn't more nerve problems. It's hard to explain but I had shooting nerve pain, a few years ago I was on the fentanyl patch for six to nine months, which controlled the pain very well but I asked to be taken off because of the liability with driving, and I did not have any withdrawal problems at all. I will post if the neuro orders an MRI with the results. God Bless, Joe
  • I know that nerve pain is very difficult to deal with,i have nerve pain all over my body. The medications to help nerve pain are limited unfortunately. I hope your surgeon helps you out!
  • A typical response to experiencing back pain is to take it easy - either staying in bed or at least stopping any activity that is at all strenuous. While this approach is understandable and may even be recommended in the short term, when done for more than a day or two it can actually undermine healing. Instead, active forms of back exercises are almost always necessary to rehabilitate the spine and help alleviate back pain
    david flora
  • islandstylistiislandstylist Posts: 307
    edited 10/18/2012 - 5:48 AM
    Hi Joe,
    Glad to hear that your dr was reasonable and rx'd another script. Sucks that you are still having the neck pain as well as the numbess but we are still babies in this journey so I will pray that subsides for you.

Glad to hear that you are in pt. I think that will help work out some kinks and get some strength back. Let us know if you get another MRI and how that goes.

Hugs my friend, hope your Thursday is going well.
    Missy, 1 level ACDF C6/C7 Monday July 16th 2012.

• Hi Missy how are you, I like your profile picture mine is a few years ago, no mustache, don't have many pics of me. Today the pain is bad I would give it an 8, for people like us that are used to constant pain, six years for me the numbers are misleading. My pain is back of neck and both arms and hands and its mostly nerve pain, PT is not helping, Taylor is playing in a band competition today only ten minutes away but my pain and ROM is so bad I can't go. She said don't worry about it but it sucks not being able to watch your kids activities, I told the neurosurgeon about my shooting nerve pain and he said PT should help. I know what pain I have and it's not muscle, I have as much pain now as I did before surgery but what can you do? I go back in three months, if the Myans (sp) are right it won't matter LOL. Hope you are doing well and your family is good. Your friend Joe