Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

That one word says it all, I know this is a repeat and that many before me have said the same thing but maybe it warrents repeating. Our lives are controlled by fear, the pain produces the fear but we all know fear is a ball and chain on our ankle. Fear of walking, can I make it across the parking lot, can I sleep, will I be able to walk, work, or function the next day or that afternoon or night, can I drive home. We stay inside because we don't know when or where it will hit and can we control it when it does. Will the doctors treat you, will they prescribe you the medications you need or cut you off, will you have to go to the ER. Will the ER treat you. Fear of the unkown, where to turn, who to see, what to do what not to do and the list goes on and on.
There is or was a video on the american chronic pain association web site. It is the introductory vidieo and it says it all.
This is nothing new to any of us, however I have seen many posts that seem to dance around the subject, The point of this depressing speach?

You, me, all of us are not alone and we can overcome that fear I know it.
Also I have found that video explanind to others what I was going though and it helped them understand.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    Lets see, one of the better sloogans I totally agree with is:

FDR Inaugural speech:

You have nothing to fear, but fear itself

Sure, in our journey dealing with spinal problems, we have to deal with so many different problems. The physical ones, our emotional problems, the unknown and so much more.

Those of us that come ahead, are those that will never bury their heads in the sand
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • welshladywwelshlady Posts: 121
    edited 10/07/2012 - 9:29 AM
    FEAR = False Expectations Appearing Real...... or maybe Face Everything and Relax? Feel everyday and rejoice? anybody got anything better... funny maybe? (i can think of a rude one but consider myself too much a lady! lol)
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    edited 10/07/2012 - 10:12 AM
    (F) Everything and Run !!

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    edited 10/07/2012 - 10:26 AM
    Face everything and recover.
    Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• One of my biggest fears was realized today. I had anaphylactic reaction to something and had to go to ER this morning. I did not realize it would be an all day thing as they were packed:( I did not have time to eat or take any of my medications including pain meds before I went. After the first 4 hours and still no treatment and my eyes were almost swollen shut and lips were swollen out past my boobs:) sorry couldn't resist.:)

Finally at the 5 1/2 hr. mark they started Solu-Medrol, Penicillin for strep which I did not know I had, oral steroids, Pepcid and Benadryl. I was in so much pain from lying on back that I was crying and the ER Doc. asked me and I told him about my thoracic pain and that I didn't have time to take anything and was afraid to until I got to hospital. I was scared that they would red flag me so didn't want to say anything. He said, "why didn't you say anything. We don't want you lying here in pain and he ordered me some pain meds. I was so relieved but couldn't stand the thought of asking and being treated like some many of you here on. I faced my fear head on today and it worked out for me:)

• And yes the biggest fear is the ER as it's always the same story... your a drug addict looking for drugs, 20 minutes of convincing the docs to check my records, then after 5 hours a nurse comes in with a shot of daluidid. and another 1500 bucks bites the dust.
    It's even worse if they know you are on PM then they will not treat you at all until the PM opens.
  • No, I go to an allergist on Thursday to hopefully find out what Im allergic to. I have been fortunate in that my Primary doc who I also worked for has been taking care of my pain management since Feb. when thoracic pain first started. She was with me through my 2 surgeries in 2008 and knows my history so is not making me go to PM at this time.

I will let you know if I find out anything on Thursday about allergy. Scary, my sister had eaten bananas her whole life then ate one and went into anaphylactic shock...same with my niece and bananas and my brother and I with bees.Strange how we go from zero to severe that fast:(