Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Wedge Pillow post ACDF???

I am wondering if having a wedge pillow for after an ACDF surgery would be useful?
If so, what height would be most helpful?

I know that many sleep in a recliner after this surgery. Have any of you found that a wedge pillow has been a helpful alternative?

• jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 10/20/2012 - 1:47 AM
    I am interested to hear of other's opinions about wedge pillows, or if you didn't use one, do you think one would have been useful?

• I used my couch after surgery and regular pillows. I used the couch as I wanted to sleep up right as the brace was uncomfortable at first, so I just placed the pillows against the end of the couch, and I had plenty of them to do what I needed with them. I looked at the wedge pillows before hand and actually couldn't see where they would help. Part of the reason was the ones I found the slope was low and the pillow very long, being some what tall, would put me far down the couch or the bed. So in the end my pillows worked just fine, as I didn't have a recliner, nor did I have room for one. My couch did recline, but doesn't have the support between the couch and the recliner, it is more used for watch TV not for someone wanting to sleep in it. But if you want one, go try them out and lie down with one, and see if you would find it comfortable, or not.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    edited 10/20/2012 - 8:44 AM
    But the one thats more like a trough = high sides with a cut out area across the middle center, I found it to be very helpful not only with the positioning of my head but the padding of the hard brace, You may want to track one of those down .... I still use nind today some 5+ years later with a regular fluffie feather pillow to fill the extra spaces. When are you having your prodedure already? Seems like we have been talking about it for years now!

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Yes Metalneck, it does seem like a long time that I have been considering this surgery.
    Even my physio said that no-one could say I have rushed into this!
    The surgery will be on 5th November.

I wondered if you could send me a link to the pillow that you describe please? I have never heard of one like that.
    I do find even now that I often wake up with a severe headache and I think it is to do with the position of my head. Sometimes, when I get up and am iin an upright position, it improves, although doesn't go completely. This makes me think that I may need to sleep propped up after surgery (or it may even help now!). As I have problems in my lumbar spine, I will have to make sure that is well supported or I will have pain from that area. I thought that a wedge pillow may do the trick. I will have lots of normal pillows available.
    I won't be wearing a collar. Don't know if that is a good thing or not.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    edited 10/20/2012 - 9:56 PM
    Heck I still where my soft collar somenights!! Couldn't imagine going through this procedure without both a hard and a soft collar .... can't understand why a surgeon wouldn't advocate the use of them ..... but then again I think bone growth stimulators are BS so to each their own ..... as long as we eventually fuse and get rid of the ridulopathy and pain ..... what the heck!!!!

Warm regards and best of outcomes,

Link removed, solicitation not permitted
    Post Edited by The Spine-Health Moderator Team

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• I can't use mine now after my 4 level ACDF.. i use a reg. soft pillow. I use to use one of those memory pillows but now I can't use that as it gives me a headache and hurts my neck. Good luck

• I haven't bought a wedge pillow.
    Once I am in recovery I will know better what my needs are.
    We can always order one on-line and it should only take a few days to arrive.
    I do have a V shaped pillow, so hopefully that will help if I need to be propped up, and I can use other pillows to support my lumbar spine.

Tomorrow is the day!!!
  • Good luck with your surgery Jellyhall. Just now have read this posting. Prayers sent for you
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 11/10/2012 - 10:59 AM
    I am now home again and doing pretty well.
    I am managing to lie on my side in bed to sleep, which is best for my lumbar spine.
    My newly operated neck is coping and I don't think I would be any more comfortable if propped up as that seems to make my neck hurt too.
    This is really early days still and I know that things will get easier.

Thanks for the prayers - always welcome.
  • Hi there, Jellyhall:

First, I slept in my recliner, sort of. Then, I went to my sofa and took one of the back cushions and rested it against the arm of the sofa and put some soft bed pillows against that. Now, I have moved the sofa cushion to my bed and put the softer bed pillows vertically against the cushion. So, I am sitting mostly sitting up, and it mostly seems to be working.

I cannot sleep on my side, although I never could before surgery either! I sleep on my back, so fortunately, this works for me.

I agree with Metalneck - I cannot believe you're not in a collar, but what do I know?

Sounds like you're doing well.
    10/26/2012 ACDF C3/4 C4/5 surgery
    No pain; no pain meds - thank goodness!
    04/01/2013 - 5 months + 1 week - FUSED
    Doing some physical therapy for even better range of motion
  • I am using a bone growth stimulator and have no idea whether it will work or not, but my surgeon has had great success with them, so I figure I have nothing to lose by trying it.

Have you used one? Did you have a bad experience with one or just no positive results?

I will know in a few weeks or months whether there has been any progress made when I go back in for my post surgery check up.

For me, the jury is still out. Thankfully, it's a pretty passive experience, so I don't mind wearing it. It only uses batteries the equivalent of 2 watch batteries, so I am not feeling too threatened by it.
    10/26/2012 ACDF C3/4 C4/5 surgery
    No pain; no pain meds - thank goodness!
    04/01/2013 - 5 months + 1 week - FUSED
    Doing some physical therapy for even better range of motion