Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Epidural Fibrosis "ABUT" S1 nerve root

I had a micro Discectomy in 2010 and was nerve free for over a year. Last December a tingly pain came back.

I had an mri it says "epidural fibrosis ABUT s1 nerve root" Obviously that is scar tissue. Since it is Abut or Touching not compressing is that enough to cause the pain?

In fact I have been seeing several doctors trying to get to the bottom of this. The neurosurgeon was not sold on the whole scar tissue. His only response was "Im not sure what it is take some lyrica" but that didnt help. After 3 more visits he said it "might be scar tissue" but still didnt believe it. My physiatrist at first said it was weak muscles causing inflamatory molecules in my blood which is irritating the nerve. I did PT and home exercises still no luck.

I brought up the scar tissue on my first visit with my physiatirst and he said thats completely normal after a MICRO D and said "in fact it would be a concern if it wasnt there". He then totally switched his theory on my second visit and said i could try an epidural injection (not gonna do that due to the menigitis outbreak)

I like playing golf. Im not great at it in fact im just a begginer. I asked the nerosurgeion if it was ok to play before I started. He said thats fine. I played probably 23 times with no issues. I played one sunday morning and everything felt fine. That next monday i had the tingling. If golf would have done something too it i think it woudl be healed by now??/

As far as the S1 thats just what my physiatrist said he thinks it is. Not 100% sure?

• Suggest discussing with your physiatrist if there are additional conservative exercise / strengthening activities you can do. Note: golf involves significant twisting.

My consultant, a Prof of Neurology (who doesn't operate any more), recommends swimming (with snorkle and goggles to prevent twisting) for microdiscectomy patients. The logic is to softens the scar tissue by repeatedly stretching it and also build core strength. He wants patients to be swimming 600m (0.4 mile) per day by 3 months. The neurosurgeon who did the surgery recommends cycling and walking for similar reasons plus forward lunges and hamstring stretches.

Sounds like you may have had a warning bell and may be able to exercise your way to recovery. You really don't want more surgery.

Better safe than sorry.