Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone with facial parasthesia caused by c-spine problems?

I have intermittent tingling both sides of the face, along the trigeminal nerve. It maybe one side or another, or both sides at once. These sensations started when I became symptomatic with my C spine problems. At first it was the right side, then 2 months later the left side mirrored the right.

Obviously the MRI ruled out other causes, and all that showed up was the c-spine problem. Every doctor will tell you facial tingling cannot come from the neck, but quite a few people seem to have these odd sensations despite being told it can't be the c-spine. My GP finally admitted—after the MRI results came through—that it just MIGHT be caused by the neck. What are the experiences here?
advertisement

Comments

• I had numbness and tingling in my right side of face, ear and neck. After two cervical fusions I was diagnosed with thoracic outlet syndrome.
    awchronicpain
  • philmaaspphilmaas Posts: 2
    edited 10/16/2012 - 11:38 AM
    Post ACDF 2 years and face (both sides) continue to tingle as well as scalp. I've brought it to my Dr's attention, really not much they can do for it. As I sit here and type my scalp is tingling away!!! After two years of it, I have grown accustom to it. Pretty much ignore it daily.
    Good luck!
    **~Phil~**
  • janeejjanee Posts: 10
    edited 10/20/2012 - 6:51 AM
    Thanks for your replies. It seems that this problem is a lot more common than the accepted wisdom would suggest. There probably isn't a lot that can be done about it either, as these are mere 'sensory' symptoms and do not affect function or movement. I'm slowly learning to live with it. It's all fairly recent to me. I also find that the symptoms occur together with the others such as arm/shoulder or trapezius muscle and so on. Sometimes I do the 'cat' exercise and it can sometimes help the general muscle tightness and knots, and perhaps indirectly helps with the facial symptoms too. I tried some exercises that people with Bell's Palsy can do but I didn't find them of any use with these particular symptoms, probably because the root cause is entirely different. I'm already coming to terms with the fact that this is something I will probably have to live with.
  • my husband had cervical epidural sep 2011 and now has a paralized diaphram causing right lung elevation we can not get any answers
advertisement