Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Past a year post Op (ALIF) and my life is almost 'normal'!!:)

So... last Wednesday marked the one year anniversary of my spine fusion of L-4-5!!! I am feeling remarkably strong and well, and my work comp case is ACTUALLY/ UNBELIEVABLY almost concluded... so I can FINALLY get a new job:) Despite all the terrifying risks and very limited guarantees for lumbar fusion; as a 28 year old (at the time) with an irrepairably damaged spine.... I KNEW 'surgical intervention' was necessary!! Glad I found the surgical team I did and SO glad I got the courage to make myself go through with the operation! And a special thanks to all the support I found on this forum (directly as well as indirectly through researching on here)!!! So a year later; thanks Doctors, family, friends, spine-health, and the courage from within myself (and from the being/entity/whatever one may believe in:) greater than us all)!!!!! ;-)

• That's Awesome !!

That's what we need to hear on these forums are more success stories! Most that are here are suffering so some good news is welcome......Again ...glad to hear you made it !!

Different degrees of back pain since 1994
    Cortisone shots Jan/09
    Discectomy and lamenectomy April/09
    L5 - S1 spinal fusion July.13th/12
  • Thanks Kevin!! I had trouble finding POSITIVE feedback about spine fusion before taking the plunge!!! So I wanted to create hope for others in the boat I was in a year or so ago!!
  • Thanks for the hopeful post! I am scheduled for ALIF on the 29th. Hearing/seeing a successful outcome is few and far between. Thanks again! :)

Single level L5/S1 360 fusion with 6 screws and a rod (10/29/12)
    Diagnosis: Grade 1-2 spondylolithesis, Pars Defect, L5/S1 disc tear anterior and posterior, DDD, spinal stenosis
  • dmt683ddmt683 Posts: 27
    edited 10/14/2012 - 7:40 AM
    Jodi, I also had a grade 1 spondy; in a lot of the research I did I found that there's a much higher pain relief rate from fusion on a spine where spondylolisthesis is present! So hopefully you shall be back to everything you love to do in no time!! Plan accordingly for recovery ( it's a long one) have books, movies, things you enjoy to pass the time... and WALK as MUCH as you can. (I walked 20-30 miles a week w/ in a month of surgery... really helps get blood flowing to the surgical site and helps speed the healing!! Best wishes for your upcoming surgery!! :)
  • Thanks for the positive post. I am happy to hear you are doing so well! I'm scheduled for ALIF on November 7th (L5/Si, Spondy, DDD, MicroD failure), and I've been looking for some positive outcomes to counter the many sad stories people share. I can't imagine the blow to your spirits when you go through something so huge, only to have it be unsuccessful. I, too, hope to post positive feedback someday. :)

• Colleen,
    I wish you a successful operation and swift recovery! Just remember how much a positive outlook and keeping with your PT/rehab goals can do for your outcome!! Best wishes:)