Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

For the ladies - menstruation

Hi ladies,

I've been digging this forum left right and centre, but can't find any appropriate answers to my question. I'll be getting my period next week but as I am having a L4-L5 back fushion surgery this coming Wednesday, is there anything that docs can recommended to delay the cycle for the month or is something more appropriate to use after my surgery? My mum will be caring for me during my recovery, however, I find it embarrasing if she needs to help clean up.

Any suggestions?

• kamgramkkamgram Posts: 483
    edited 10/14/2012 - 6:41 PM
    Maybe talk to your doctor about birth control pill that can delay your period while you are recuperating. I have an IUD so don't have to worry about periods on top of back pain. Not sure if this would help but worth a try. I hope your surgery goes well and you have a qiuck and painfree recovery. Please keep in touch and let us know how your surgery goes:)

• they dont really worry about that stuff from a surgical perspective. I asked my surgeon and said to speak to my Gyn...wasnt possible as was already hospitalized. I can tell you from a hospital perspective and how you are going to feel post op that your period is the last of your worries. Think about when it will hit, if you will in the hospital and where you are in your cycle to see if it will actually be a really big deal. I know it feels like a big deal now, but as me and my spiney friends laugh, you check your dignity in at the door with fusion surgery. I wish I had a better, more positive answer for you, but believe me, your period will be the last thing on your mind...or your sweet mama's...she will be tending to your pain...she is mama...will be a no brainer for her. Good luck with your surgery and your recovery! Peace on your journey! Ellen
    3 level fusion L3-S1 July 23, 2012
  • Thanks girls :)

I think it might be too late now to get onto birth control, so I guess it will be saying goodbye to my dignity and let my mum help me.

So I suppose I will be like a floppy doll for the next 6 weeks... not looking forward to the recovery period... I already feel as if I want to pull all my hair out already!
  • Could you call your gyn and get a depo shot? I don't know if there would be time for it to work, but I think it stops periods. I'm all for minimizing the issues, so if it can be prevented, it is worth a try...

Good luck with surgery. You are fortunate to have your mom there to help you. :)
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I've been on depo for almost as long as its been out, its wonderful, i haven't had a cycle in so long, i forgot what its like. But as for me, when i got my very first shot my period was gone the very next day and hasn't been back since. So that might be a good option for you to check in to. Best of luck to you!